Using bird netting for aviary

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Using bird netting for aviary

Post by Dave » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm building some new canary cages, each 4' wide x 2' deep x 18" tall. These are box cages, all the surfaces are wood except the front. These cages are in a building, not outside.

Now I'm up to making doors, and I'm considering 'bird netting'. It is inexpensive, and light weight so my view of the birds wouldn't be blocked by heavy wire. I got the idea from the Cincinnati Zoo, that had some bird enclosures (in a building) made of this.

My reasoning is that we're containing finches, not wolverines.

The squares are 3/4", but I believe other sizes openings are available. The idea would be to make a frame out of 1" square wood, and fasten the netting to that--then add hinges to make the cage front.

Has anyone used this bird netting?
Attachments
birdnetstandard.jpg
birdnetstandard.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Using bird netting for aviary

Post by cindy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:04 pm

finches might squeeze through the openings/space.... try a black plastic mesh that is a 1/4 inch. I have it on my entire indoor walk in aviary, washes down easy too, easy to handle verses the wire mesh. No one can get through it!!!
Attachments
screen mesh panel.jpg
mesh.jpg
mesh.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Dave

Hi Dave,

I would use half inch squares or smaller, if you have any small Waxbills, like Goldbreasts, who can fit their heads through just about anything, and either hang themselves or escape.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Dave

As the other members said, 3/4" is too wide. I used 1/4" hardware cloth for my 4' x 1.5' x 4.5' flight, and haven't had any problems aside from installation. It is light-colored, allowing the birds to be seen more easily, and is low-maintanance, only needing an occasional brushing to get the poop off. I'm not sure how its price compares to the netting, though.

Here's the type I used, though the roll had different dimensions: Hardware Cloth
Attachments
My flight
My flight

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 pm

The wire mesh (1/4 inch) can also be painted black if you do not like the "metal" look.... use a child safe water based paint. Allow it to dry and the smell to dissipate before adding birds to the enclosure.

I choose the black plastic 1/4 mesh because it was easy to work with, less likely to cause issues with me if I was cut or scratched while working with it... I get a reaction to the wire if scratched by it.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only