Moving from outdoor aviary to cage

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

Moving from outdoor aviary to cage

Post by Dbearden » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:32 am

Going to be making a move soon inside due to cold weather on the way.
I am hoping this doesn't cause too much stress. Any recommendations?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Moving from outdoor aviary to cage

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 pm

Dbearden

It will be stressful for them, especially if they're moving into small cages. There is really not much you can do about that, but you and I both know, that they can't stay outdoors in cold weather, so you have to do what you have to do.

Good luck,
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:49 pm

I'd be careful to keep the day length the same as they've been having--no big sudden changes in that. If they're indoors and they get artificial light from room lamps, their day can go from 11 hours to 16 hours suddenly. That can't be good for them.

@lovezebs has a good point about the cage size, because their flying time might be suddenly changed as well. Is that the case?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:17 pm

I've done this many times because my birds are indoors and a number of the breeders I buy from or trade with have outdoor aviaries.

In general, it presents no problems with finches. They adjust quickly.
With small hook bills [grasskeets, budgies] the usual recommendation is to bother them as little as possible for a week or two to let them settle in.

Just do it.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Dbearden have u not got insulation and a heater in the aviary so they can stay out all ur round
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Fraza

Honey, some places get way too cold for a bit of insulation and a heater.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Dbearden » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Fraser, no, the aviary is actually an atrium within the floor plan of my home, but with the top screened. The sides are glass. They do great throughout the spring, summer and fall, even with rain because they can hide within greenery, ledges and such. However, in the winter with rain and cold, I think would be too much on a continued basis for them to sustain. In Texas, our weather is so varied, with not many days that actually freeze. However, I prefer they not be subjected to the frequent changes that can remain as such for several days. I have a double flight cage that I feel will be sufficient, hopefully!

delray
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire

Post by delray » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Dbearden Making the change from outside to inside for season will be an adjustment for the birds, but it is definitely the safest bet considering the unpredictable weather that you mentioned. A double flight should be more than ok. Keep us posted and good luck! :D

Brian
Brian
Phineas: Lightly Pied Chestnut
Ferb: Dilute Fawn

FINCHforum Moderator & Social Media Manager

Instagram: https://instagram.com/finchforum/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 am

Dbearden wrote: Fraser, no, the aviary is actually an atrium within the floor plan of my home, but with the top screened. The sides are glass. They do great throughout the spring, summer and fall, even with rain because they can hide within greenery, ledges and such. However, in the winter with rain and cold, I think would be too much on a continued basis for them to sustain. In Texas, our weather is so varied, with not many days that actually freeze. However, I prefer they not be subjected to the frequent changes that can remain as such for several days. I have a double flight cage that I feel will be sufficient, hopefully!

Ohright I didn’t realize how bad it got good luck
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:16 am

Dbearden

Sounds like you have a lovely set up for the bird kids. Would love to see some pictures of it. So once the birds are out, does the atrium stay open on top all year around?

A double flight should be more than sufficient for the Winter months, and just think how happy they will be come Spring \:D/ .
~Elana~

Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Dbearden » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Elana,
Yes, the atrium/aviary has a screened top open-air year-round. Haven't figured out yet how to post a pic, but it is nice!

Right now the temps are 55-60 at night and 75-85 during the day. Our best Texas weather all year!!! But early Nov I will need to move the feathered kids inside the flight cage.

One new discovery, a new clutch of Red-Cheek Cordeon Blues ....not sure when they will hatch, but I know I shouldn't' move. :shock:

Deana

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Dbearden

Hi Deana,

Congratulations on the new RCCB egg babies :-BD Woo-hoo!

Sadly we can't post any pictures at the moment, because of some work being done on the Forum, but I am really looking forward to seeing your birdie set up/atrium, once everything is back to normal.

Good luck with the upcoming infants.
~Elana~