Lonely zebra

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Tchristie90
Pip
Pip

Lonely zebra

Post by Tchristie90 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:41 pm

I recently got a male zebra finch that has been housed alone for almost a year no other birds in the house can I house him with another male or should I house him with a female I'm worried he is going to be over aggressive toward males

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Lonely zebra

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:58 pm

Tchristie90
I'm not entirely sure which one you should do. While having 2 males will keep them from breeding and laying eggs there could be aggression. However if you housed him with a female sooner or later they are gonna "you-know" and she's gonna lay eggs. so if you do want babies get both a female and a nest. However with all birds that you get put them in a separate cages after getting them and after the isolation period you can put the cages next to each other. if you decide o get a male and he passes the health test then when placing him next to your current bird's cage make sure they can't reach other through the bars but can see and hear each other. If they seem to get along then you can house them. If not then if you got it from a pet store return it and get a totally different bird. Just keep going intill you find a male that gets along with your male or from the start get a female and be prepared for the inevitable eggs. Hope this helps.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 pm

FinchLover&Breeder hi if you house him with a male then it should be fine as well as a female I don’t see why he would be aggressive if anything he will be happy to have a companion if you aren’t bothered about breeding tho I would put him with the female.

Because if he’s put with the male when they are both introduced to females in the future or another male they will rather fight with each other for terrorty or bully the new one
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Tchristie90

I have recently recieved a tiny male Zebra, who had been housed alone for a year and a half.

When I placed him in a large flight with other Zebras, he was miserable and was picked on.

I ended up placing him in a large cage with a very young juvi female Zebra, and they get along very well together.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Post by Amazon1610 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:40 pm

I currently don't own finches, but I'd be happy to share the advice I've been given. If you want to get a female, there is always a chance of the two breeding, even if you discourage it by not placing a nest or nesting materials in the cage. I've heard stories of Zebras laying fertile eggs in their food bowls or at the bottom of the cage. One in particular said that not long after a wild pair was captured in Australia, they were already trying to mate. They're very prolific from what I've heard. But I hear a same sex pair of males isn't impossible either, and it completely eliminates the risk of breeding if you don't want that. But I understand your concern about your bird adjusting to a new partner after having been alone for so long. If you have more than one cage, a good trick I heard is to house them in separate cages but leave them close to eachother so they get used to eachothers presence. Then, after a week or so, move them into the same cage and monitor their behavior closely. If they seem to get along, great! If not, Zebra finches don't cost much, and Pet Smart, to my knowledge anyway, will replace the bird or refund the price within 14 days after purchase. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Betty
Pip
Pip

baby society finch

Post by Betty » Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 am

i had to take out my baby society finch out of large cage because it was so small not eating on own could not fly that well at first they were feeding it then they were not so i started giving it shelled seed and it took it the male kept landing on her back and she had very few feathers so i took her out put her in a smaller cage started introducing food and water which she eats she is still kind of small but her feathers have filled in and her tail feathers are long i would like to put her back in large cage because i know society finches like to be together or should i just get her another bird not sure what to do

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon May 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Betty I would say keep the little one out with the one parent in the small cage then introduce them back together
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Betty
Pip
Pip

Post by Betty » Wed May 30, 2018 8:24 am

Thank you for your answer , only problem i have is there are twelve grown finches in large cage not sure who is mom there were a couple of them feeding her when they were feeding , pretty much the same color i noticed she still has quite of few feathers missing from back under wings will it stress her to be alone .

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Betty yes well I would then just pic out one that was feeding her any of them it doesn’t have to be the Mum society’s i own many and think are awesome will feed if it sqwarks anyway
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Betty
Pip
Pip

Post by Betty » Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Thank you will give it a try

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed May 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Betty okay goodluck hope it feeds
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL