not everyone is breeding

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
SherLar
Pip
Pip

not everyone is breeding

Post by SherLar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:15 pm

So, since becoming ill, my husband bought this large used aviary, 7ft x 5ft x 7ft. With looking on here and researching etc, we bought 2 pairs of LG, 1 pair fire bill, 1 pair cordon blue, 1 pair star finch, 1 pair of owl and 3 female zebras. The zebras are my husbands fault. They have plenty of room, live safe plants, lots of nests, quality seeds along with greens and egg food. The LG breed like rabbits. No one else. And this is fine, sort of, I would like to see some of the others breed. Are the other listed finch difficult to breed or is there something I am missing? Granted, they should not be breeding this late in the year, was just thinking of this coming spring. And although they may do well if I separated them out into smaller flight cages, I really prefer to have everybody together in the large aviary. So I guess breeding is not as important to me as a happy family with just one giant cage for the husband to clean.

SherLar
Pip
Pip

Re: not everyone is breeding

Post by SherLar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:48 pm

um DUH.. suddenly I realized that since we bought everyone from a bird show last spring and they may not all have been of breeding age. Bugs me that my brain will not remember the things it should.

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:51 pm

SherLar
It's alright. we all forget simple little things like that. have fun breeding and keep us posted.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:57 pm

SherLar

Yep I had a lovely lady buy 4 gouldians from me. Her husband wanted in on the fun and bought another flight and 2 zebras. I think they were up to 12 zebra finches by 6 months. #-O

I noticed no male zebras, only females? Are the zebra females breeding with your male owl finch?

SherLar
Pip
Pip

Post by SherLar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:52 pm

No. I discussed birth control with the 3 female zebras. They are not allowed to breed, thus there is a trio to keep the girls busy amongst themselves! Not that I am against zebras, but I am against breeding something I can not find homes for when they become over crowded. (Though my husband still threatens to get an all white zebra). So you say the girls may try to breed with the male owl? Take it back!!! Will hope the male owl stays true to the female owl. Do they make chastity belts for zebras?

Contrary to what I read, LG breed way too easy. I thought with 2 pairs, I might get 1 or 2 offspring a year... noooooo.. even during the move from our farm to the city, we still managed to have 5 live babies. My daughter had babysat them and lost 2 before the aviary moved. That breeding went on with 2 families and 6 dogs living in the same house for awhile.

I thought about adding the red factor canaries, but read they mimic other bird songs. don't want them sounding just like things I already have. With star finch..sounding similar to a starwars stungun of sorts..1 pair is enough.

So much learning to do.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:03 pm

My red canary lives with societies and he doesn't seem to have picked up any of their noises.

Waxbill finches are difficult to breed compared to Gouldians, often requiring live insects to feed their babies, and being very timid and prone to abandon nests if the other birds don't give them privacy. Owls are not as difficult, but they could be being intimidated by the zebra hens. Owls and zebras can breed and produce hybrids together though this is more likely if the owl didn't have a mate. The zebras may still "present" themselves to him, though, lacking another option, and he could engage in some forbidden affairs when the female owl isn't watching. No finch is totally monogamous.
~Dylan

~~~

SherLar
Pip
Pip

Post by SherLar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Thank you Dylan.

So maybe this spring my husband needs to put the zebra hens into their own cage. They are quite comical, stuffing their nest FULL and barely leaving enough room for their little bodies. I used to provide meal worms and will again as spring arrives.

With the next bird show, maybe I will see if I can buy a couple of parrot finch or red canaries.

Any input from anyone on those? With my aviary?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:53 pm

SherLar

I have a terrible habit of reading something really fast (when I'm busy ) and missing a part. I just reread your post and your lady gouldians are the ones out-breeding everyone. Ahhh!

Once you can get gouldians happy and paired, it's hard sometimes to get them to stop. If you are in the America's it's normal for them to breed this time of year (during the winter).

I have two pairs of gouldians that can't keep their talons off each other year round. They will even breed in the fake foliage will no nests or in seed cups.

I have to strip the flight of any flat surfaces they can mate on, remove foliage up high where they can balance and mate in and I put the seed cups down low (they don't like to breed near the ground). I also cut waaay back on the eggfood.

It doesn't look as pretty as a really decorated flight, but it cools their jets so the hen doesn't lay more than 3 clutches per year (for the hen's health.)

However, having gouldians that adore each other in a strong bond is worth it. And gouldians can be very finicky about who they bond with. And if their bond isn't rock solid, they won't parent well together. So you are doing something great over there for your gouldians to respond well. =D>

I have zero experience with waxbills. I have noticed (just on observing pictures and videos) that their nests seem to be more hidden, secluded and camouflage, almost as if that nest must be a complete secret. :-$

SherLar
Pip
Pip

Post by SherLar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Yes, Babs, I was not going to be tricked into buy your LG!! I am in central US. Near Omaha NE. The gouldians started breeding almost immediately. They have stopped for the past 3 months. Maybe because I cut back on egg and meal worms, the lighting change, or the move. Yes, I had read that some of the other birds must have a secret hidy nest so maybe I will try hiding them even deeper in foliage. My husband sold the extra cage that I hoped to put his zebras in, so we may never have babies, and that is ok too. I guess I equate birds being secure and happy by the number of offspring. Maybe I should be happy they aren't breeding like the LG!

Those red canaries and parrotfinch sure are gorgeous. But the price is pretty high as well. I have a happy family of birds, so we will see if I actually dive into them.