Whole birdroom lit up. Switched to all LED

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Whole birdroom lit up. Switched to all LED

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:09 am

I finally took the plunge and got rid of the fading smaller full spectrum lights and switched everything to led today. Took some pictures from above in the loft so you can see how well it illuminates everything, especially in the 5 1/2 foot flights. This is all in my livingroom and my parrot Ronan's cage & tree is visible so you can see how everything is set up. I'm really happy with the change. Great way to start off the New Year!
Attachments
loft2 (2).jpg
loft2 (1).jpg
javaFlight.jpg
juvies.jpg
breeders.jpg
juviesAndAdult.jpg

a_gouldian
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Whole birdroom lit up. Switched to all LED

Post by a_gouldian » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 am

Looks good! What type of LEDs are you using?
Gouldians, Red-faced Stars, Owl Finches, Blue-capped Cordon Bleus

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:01 pm

a_gouldian

We bought these : Lights of America 4' LED Shoplight. About 4500 K,

I wish I had a better camera (used my cell phone). I can see the finches so much better now. And the white LED bulbs really brightens up the blue areas on all the gouldians. Although the camera didnt pick up the birds very well. :?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Babs

Looks great sweetie.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 pm

lovezebs

Thanks girlie! Happy New Years! I got tired of not being able to see the finches from the sofa properly. The kids are enjoying it. Im seeing a lot more flying back and forth and loop-da-loops in the juvies flights. And Hammy is doing some figure 8's in the adult cage (she's always so happy <3 ).

I think overall the finches can see better as well. They don't have any visible flicker like my old glass bulbs did with ballasts.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Babs - What a nice setup! I do like the way these LEDs light up everything. I know very little about LED lighting - are they full spectrum?
If I ever brought any of my birds inside, I would follow your lead.
Iso

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 pm

isobea

Thanks so much Iso! I'm wall-to-wall flight cages. I was a little afraid some would think I'm kinda crazy. **chuckle*

They aren't full spectrum so I am going to have to be consistant with their vitaminD/calcium drops 3 times a week. I'm looking into the LED full spectrum and they are quite expensive, but it's an option I am will to save up $ for and they are supposed to retain their brightness.

The full spectrum bulbs (Aqueon) I had been using before would start up bright then every month get dimmer and dimmer. Every 8 months I had to replace them and they only were nice and bright the first 3 months. I finally had enough of that.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Babs - I know what you mean about the Aqueon bulbs. I had had aquariums for over 30 years with all live plants and mostly tetras. The biotope was so well balanced that I could leave it alone for almost two weeks. Here, in Carlsbad, I just couldn't get that balance again (the plants kept slowly dying after several months). So I made the tank into a terrarium. The plants also need full spectrum light and I've had the same experience as you with the life span of those bulbs.
If you find a good, durable - and cheaper - alternative, let me know.
Iso

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 am

isobea

I will let y'all know.n Ill be trying out one LED at a time and testing come the spring. ;)