Newspaper.

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Newspaper.

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 am

I know sandpaper is terrible for birds feet, so I use newspaper on the bottom of my cages... Just wondering what all your opinions where on using newspaper? And if you don't use newspaper, what do you use instead? Thanks!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Newspaper.

Post by Sheather » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 am

I use newspapers or plain paper towels.
~Dylan

~~~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:38 am

Flight Feathers

Newspaper is one of the best floorings for finches; the only problem is when birds rip it up for nesting material. I have a breeding cage with newspaper and a flight cage with sand, and they're both pretty easy to clean.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Icearstorm Sheather
Thanks! The reason I am asking is because when I took my finch in to the pet shop yesterday the lady seemed a bit grumpy at me and she was telling me that newspaper is bad for birds because the ink lets off fumes that harms the birds? I didn't think this was true because I've used newspaper for rabbits for 6 years with no problems and they say the same for rabbits too. Anyway at least I know next time I go to the pet shop I'll have to use something else. Thanks for the paper towel idea, I'll try that instead! Thanks!

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Flight Feathers

Hmm, that's odd; I've never heard of people having problems with plain black-and-white newspaper.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Icearstorm wrote: Flight Feathers

Hmm, that's odd; I've never heard of people having problems with plain black-and-white newspaper.
Yeah it is odd.

It is colored newspaper not just black and white.

I looked it up and apparently the ink is made of soy beans so that it is non toxic to young children and apparently it is safe for birds even if they consume some of it.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Decades ago color newsprint used lead in the inks. There hasn't been lead in any inks used for newsprint for decades. Even when there was, we used newspaper in the bottom of cages and nothing ever happened to any of our birds. They didn't really mess with the paper in the bottom of the cage plus it got changed out every couple of days anyway.

So there should be no problem using newsprint of any sort. I use the color ads from grocery stores because they keep stuffing them in my mailbox whether I want them or not. Using them to sop up bird droppings is probably a fair use for junk mail anyway, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 am

I get a roll of brown contractor paper from Lowes or Home Depot and cut a couple of strips to put on top of the wire floor. But I don't have a lot of birds.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Okay thank you, not sure why the pet shop thought newspaper wasn't safe for birds then. Thank you for all your replies!

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:18 am

Flight Feathers wrote: Okay thank you, not sure why the pet shop thought newspaper wasn't safe for birds then. Thank you for all your replies!
I bet she had something in the store much more expensive than free grocery store sale papers that she wanted to sell you, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 am

Sojourner wrote:
Flight Feathers wrote: Okay thank you, not sure why the pet shop thought newspaper wasn't safe for birds then. Thank you for all your replies!
I bet she had something in the store much more expensive than free grocery store sale papers that she wanted to sell you, LOL!
No never mentioned that at all. Just said that the newspaper could kill/harm finches and I don't know if they were all too keen to buy from me if the finches could die. I will just use paper towels or something when I take finches there as I don't want them to stop buying from me.