SO frustrated! Cant seem to find the cage I need!

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

SO frustrated! Cant seem to find the cage I need!

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:44 pm

Ive been struggling for months now trying to find a decent sized cage for a decent price. I ordered one from the states not several months ago, it cost almost 650$ with the CAD to USD exchange. It took forever to get a tracking number and the more I asked about the cage the worse I got run around. Apparently it got stopped at the US border and sent back. Then they sent it out again but it didn't make it to me. After more then two months of fighting I just asked for my money back and sadly enough I'm in the process now of getting my money back but it isn't looking good.
I would really like to find these cages in Canada if I can, does anyone know where I can find them?
I'm not in the process of saving up again, unfortunately i only have 1/3 of the money I need.
I have two pairs of finches.
Two zebra finches, a male and female; and two society finches, both male. I wanted the bigger cage to see if i can introduce the four together.
Does anyone have any other ideas of cages similar to these in price and size?
My birds are very annoyed with the set ups they have, it makes me mad and sad because they're still in larger breeder cages because thats what i thought was okay for them. That obv are not...
i'm really trying so if theres any advice anyone can give me that would be great!
Attachments
or this one for one, but two of them
or this one for one, but two of them
The one i really want
The one i really want
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: SO frustrated! Cant seem to find the cage I need!

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Sorry to hear things aren't going well with the cage you ordered :(
To be honest, it may be easier to build a cage.It's not too hard. All you need to build is a frame and then attach wire to the wooden frame using a nail gun or staple gun then for the door make a door shape and attach hinges with screws! Another idea is to use an old cabinet or wide book shelf and just attach doors to it.

Good luck if you decide to build a cage!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:32 pm

So I’m just going to make my own. Already got a couple things to do so. I just had a few questions.
Can I stain the wood or use polyurethane on the outside of it? Or just no for that all together?
Once I have it put together I’ll post a picture here. lol.
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 am

ShannTmw

Check out Bird Flight Cages Amazon.ca
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 am

Yeah I have been looking there. But a lot won’t ship to me and it’s soooo frustrating...
Shann

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 am

It's not so difficult to build an aviary or a cage yourself.
The big advantage: you can adapt the size to the maximum your space allows. And normally it should be much cheaper than a cage you can buy.

Think about it!

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:37 pm

I’m already buying the stuff to build my own. I do have a question about stain tho, can it be stained or no?
Not sure how it would be with the bird. Just the outside for colour?
Shann

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:59 pm

ShannTmw wrote: I’m already buying the stuff to build my own. I do have a question about stain tho, can it be stained or no?
Not sure how it would be with the bird. Just the outside for colour?
My avaries arent stained, so not sure sorry.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Flight Feathers

I would never stain wood that they can come in contact with. The toxins. The flights you have shown are identical to mine and in the states dont cost nearly that much (I use mostly the double flights).

White vinegar easily disinfects raw wood and cleans it up nicely (like when I clean their wooden perches).

I've stained my breeding station shelf, but the finches cant reach the wood.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Babs wrote: Flight Feathers

I would never stain wood that they can come in contact with. The toxins. The flights you have shown are identical to mine and in the states dont cost nearly that much (I use mostly the double flights).

White vinegar easily disinfects raw wood and cleans it up nicely (like when I clean their wooden perches).

I've stained my breeding station shelf, but the finches cant reach the wood.
Yeah that makes sense. I have never stained the wood on my avaries.

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:29 pm

My cage is colourful - but only the outside. You can see some photographs here:

https://entretantasplumas.wordpress.com ... /jaula-ii/

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Fernando

Colorful and lively! Nice job! =D>

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Fernando wrote: My cage is colourful - but only the outside. You can see some photographs here:

https://entretantasplumas.wordpress.com ... /jaula-ii/
I love how colourful your cage is!!

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am

Sorry for the late response, but thanks, no staining going to happen. Ill just leave it the colour it is. I just wanted the outside to look a little more sleek and modern.
But its fine if its just the plain wood.
Is there an okay paint for the outside? If not thats fine, their safety matters most. I was looking into getting another pair for my societies after the cage is made and they have the room. Ive seen some crested finches and just laughed so hard i needed him.
So im debating that. I can easily make a larger cage then i planned on it, because I'm still in the process of getting the wood, need to make sure my measurements are right.
Anyways, thanks for the advice!!
I loooove all the foliage in the top of the cage, great idea, i might use that haha.
Shann