1zebra (f) +1 society (m) + 1red factor canary (f)

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: 1zebra (f) +1 society (m) + 1red factor canary (f)

Post by Sheather » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Yes those types of flowers are good. None are really silk anymore, it's just the term for the soft ones versus hard plastic.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:52 am

Chimelette just want to say not all finches don’t let you pet them I’ve had 4 that let me do it I had a zebra girl that did then I had a society called ginge then her daughter and I still have finchie who lets me do it I’ll add pics below.

I did it by letting them free flight but Make sure you leave them about for 2weeks/4 weeks before letting them out otherwise they won’t come back.(also make sure windows and doors are closed )also some fly into windows because it’s see through but they will learn it or just put curtains up. Anyway to the point once you free flight sit sometimes with seeds or treat food on your hand like egg food and eventually one will jump on and once one does they will all slowly copy, eventually you will have them just perch on your hand :mrgreen:

And I’m sorry about your canary it was nice aswelland I think you could get two more the cage looks big enough just make sure they are different species if you don’t want breeding
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:53 am

Here’s the pics can’t find my other pics but here’s one of them
Attachments
5950DC7D-FC9D-4BCB-9000-DF658BD6F421.jpeg
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 am

Fraza OH MY LORD. WHAT A CUTIE!! You are seriously living my dream right now! I have a friend who hand raised some zebras and they sit on her hand and she pets em with a qtip and they love it.

Earlier when I was moving them in, Toast got out and Egg started squawking lol. It was really cute that she was concerned.

I've also seen videos where some people can magically call to them. I do hope to let them free fly at some point but I don't think they're super familiar with my place yet haha plus they got a new house.

Lastly, yes it was indeed sad to let Juice go but not only did it stress my little ones out but cause I'm just renting a room, it might get more difficult later to keep up with her sunrise/sunset schedule. Especially during midterms when I come home abit later.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Chimelette yeh I honestly think everyone worries about free flight but I think it’s so good for your birds to get a real chance to stretch there wings search my topic today that’s i posted called enjoying free flight you will se mine out enjoying them selves

Just a little tip leave them in the cage atkeast a month because the cage is also new and if you get any new birds don’t they them out for the same amount of time and don’t give them to much Miller because if one is ever naughty you can hang a piece near the opening of cage and it always brings them back

And that’s good that she called for him it’s showing they are bonding

Goodluck and I hope in few weeks I see a post saying free flight lol hahah :mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Fraza Ive been giving them quite a bit of millet since they're still new. I feel like I have to give the goodies so they'll feel more at home haha. but Ill definitely lessen their millet. I definitely will be asking for more tips if I get more birds!
That's such a clever and non stressful way to get them to go back home~

Ill definitely be posting their free fly experience once they're ready for it! Thank you so much for all the information!! Im so excited for my babies to get comfy in their new home.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:15 pm

I have society finches that come to my hand for seed and are just fine perching but they take off if I move, petting is off limits.

Even my very tame budgies, which like to come and spend time with me, don't allow petting.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Chimelette I’m with cited to find out many people get scared after there first attempt because it’s the birds first try aswell and they get scared and fly into a few things and fall onto ground but after bout 3 times they will know the room better then you lol

Hope all goes well good luck and your welcome for the info ask me anything u need :mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Sheather Ohright yeh I understand petting and perching are two different things I think it’s feldglings which are the best to pet because they are in wary lol hhahao
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Chimelette wrote: Flight Feathers I'm still generally new to birds so any advice is very welcome. thank you so much!
Haha that probaly plays a big part in it! maybe it would have been different with a bigger cage and a mate.
Someday when I have my own place, id love an outdoor aviary for now i got them a cozy lil hut that need more perches. everyone on this forum is very helpful and informative. I just want my birds to be cozy so eventually, I can pet em without freaking them out.

I know bigger is always better for cages do you think a couple more finches could fit comfy in there? or a third bird?

Im open to suggestions!
You are very welcome!

I'm not sure if you'd be able to fit more finches or not in your cage, do you have measurements for it?

Going back to the taming subject, I use to be able to hand feed all my Zebs. And they'd all land on your head if you put a silver beet leaf on your head haha. The adult finches don't like being petted but I find I can pet the baby ones when they have just left the nest. I once had one zebra finch I completely hand tamed. At 6 weeks old she was still the friendliest zebra finch. Sadly she only made it to 6 weeks old.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Flight Feathers Sorry I've bumped off of the face of the earth haha. Exams had me a mess! I actually ended up getting an even bigger cage and my babies are very happy in it. The new cage is about:
30 inches high
16 inches wide
16 inches deep
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Chimelette wrote: Flight Feathers Sorry I've bumped off of the face of the earth haha. Exams had me a mess! I actually ended up getting an even bigger cage and my babies are very happy in it. The new cage is about:
30 inches high
16 inches wide
16 inches deep
Wow!! Nice new cage!! What kind of lights did you use?

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Chimelette » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:23 pm

Flight Feathers These are the lights I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075T ... UTF8&psc=1

They're fairly cheap and waterproof. Its nice cause you can dim the lights really low too and they don't heat up at all. Very safe for my feathered children.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Chimelette wrote: Flight Feathers These are the lights I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075T ... UTF8&psc=1

They're fairly cheap and waterproof. Its nice cause you can dim the lights really low too and they don't heat up at all. Very safe for my feathered children.
Wow very nice!