How to properly disinfect a wild branch to make a perch?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

How to properly disinfect a wild branch to make a perch?

Post by Uolym » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 am

Hi everyone!

I decided to try to make my own perches from hazelnut branches collected last summer. All pieces came from my uncle's land, a large forested area far away from any city, road of hiking trail.

For those of you who create your own perches from wild branches, how do you proceed to disinfect them? If it can help, mine are designed for finches and canaries, no hooked bills.

Thank you! :)
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: How to properly disinfect a wild branch to make a perch?

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am

soap, water and a brush is all I do.

Bacteria need moisture to stay alive so if the wood has been drying all winter it should be fine.
Some go further. If concerned you could add hydrogen peroxide.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 pm

I never worried to much about sterilizing natural branches. I use a lot of manzanita and artificial ficus in my walk in. You might want to think about how you're going to clean them later because everything gets dirty in time. I use a pressure washer first followed by a mild solution of Hexol from a garden sprayer. Silk ficus trees are taken outside about every 3 months for a good wash and a spray with Hexol. Tried a product called "Poop-off" once. It smells great for a day or so but way to expensive for my application.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:45 pm

I cut branches from the garden and place them in the cages with the leaves still on.
The birds enjoy chewing them.
~Dylan

~~~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:33 pm

I use branches straight from the garden, no disinfecting, no problems.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Mine like eucalyptus branches, pepper trees and the top 4' of the Christmas tree.
Anything green gets devoured in about a week.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Sheather wrote: I cut branches from the garden and place them in the cages with the leaves still on.
The birds enjoy chewing them.
Same here. The leaves never last long!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't disinfect at all. When a perch gets dirty, it is replaced by a new one thicker or thinner or other place, never the same.
Now I use eucalyptus, pine, solanum.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm

It is almost impossible to fully disinfect wood. It has jillions of pores, and furthermore the organic nature of wood deactivates disinfectant.

IF I were to try and disinfect wood, I'd soak it for a few days in very salty water. Butchers used to rub their wood cutting blocks down with salt, after cutting meat, to kill germs.

Usually, as others have said, I just cut a branch and put it in the aviary.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Uolym » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Thank you all for your answers! :) I sometimes wish I would live elsewhere from my Canadian winterland where I could go to my garden all year to pick up branches.

Disinfect might not have been the word I have in mind, I was more thinking of sterilise to avoid transmitting wild bugs, bacteria and parasites to my birds. From what I am reading, I might worry too much. :oops: No one had bad experience of bringing diseases or such from non-sterilised wild branches brought straight from outdoor to the aviary?
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:48 am

Just pick your branches carefully, avoid any that look like they might have tiny mildew spots on them, or bugs crawling. If the tips have tiny tiny webs on them, best to avoid or else do a thorough clean and disinfect. If the wood feels soft or spongy, it may be rotting inside the bark. Healthy wood feels hard and solid.

I tend to collect branches and then let them age and dry in the house or garage for a while, then just use them straight.

If I've cut or collected something fresh, and don't necessarily trust it, I wash with water, sometimes douse with hydrogen peroxide as that kills stuff but doesn't leave a residue, or sometimes bake in the oven. You put the branches in at very low oven temp, no more than 250 degrees, and "slow roast" for an hour, then let them cool in place. Be sure to put them on a tray, as sap can bubble out and make a mess in the oven. Some woods smell SO GOOD when roasting. I have found that oven-drying the wood makes it much harder and stronger, which is good if using it with hookbills, it tends to last much longer as it is so much harder to destroy, but really isn't necessary for finches.

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Oh please! What should be harmful? You can't sterilize a branch of wood! Bugs, spiders and so on won't last long, and wood-mould fungi won't 'attack' a bird nor bacteria nor ... nothing. Air is full of bacteria and spores and virus - and most important: we need them! Even if birds don't have a intestine-flora, each surface - each: hairs, skin, feathers ... - has their distinct micro-'flora' of organisms. Birds make no exception. And it is a good advice to keep this interrelations intact, for a imbalance may indeed be a source of infections.

You should watch the water and specially the water you use to sprout seeds/rest water on the sprouts as well as the water in the bathing dishes.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Fernando wrote: I don't disinfect at all. When a perch gets dirty, it is replaced by a new one thicker or thinner or other place, never the same.
Now I use eucalyptus, pine, solanum.
I use pitisporum!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:54 am

Uolym

I soak mine in a very light bleach solution for 8 hours in the bathtub. I put them in a sunny spot to dry. I wait 24 hours. Then I use them.

I'm more concerned about killing any mites that thrive on branches. This is why I use this method.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Uolym

I just wash them with soap and water, then dry them well.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~