Questions Regarding Cage Set Up and Cleaning for Zebra Finch

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Questions Regarding Cage Set Up and Cleaning for Zebra Finch

Post by Amazon1610 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm looking into purchasing a pair of zebra finches in the future. I already have a flight cage that I plan to buy. It's 30"L X 18"W X 18"H, which I've been told is adequate for a single pair. But before I make the investment, I have a few questions for the finch forum community:

1. What is the ideal cage setup?

2. How many perches should there be?

3. Do the perches have to be placed lengthwise, or can they be placed widthwise?

4. Do zebra finches play with toys often? What kinds of toys would you recommend, and how many should there be?

5. Do zebra finches need a nest in order to sleep, or can they sleep comfortably without one?

6. How often should the cage tray be cleaned?

7. How often should the entire cage be cleaned?

8. When cleaning the entire cage, what should be done with the birds? Should they be temporarily moved to another cage, etc.?

9. What cleaning materials would you recommend to use for cleaning the tray and cage?

Question 1 relates to the several following it, but I thought I'd leave it in as the basic question that I'm asking. Also, I've been desperate to find an answer to question 5. In the case that I get a male and a female, I do not wish for them to breed. Breeding is not my intention; I'm only looking for two companions, and so I'd like to know if zebra finches can be comfortable sleeping without a nest. It would also be useful to know in case I get a pair of females since females, I'm told, may fight over the nest. I asked question 3 because my idea is to place perches widthwise to encourage more flying in the finches.

Again, any answers would assist me significantly.

Many thanks,

-Rob.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Questions Regarding Cage Set Up and Cleaning for Zebra F

Post by Sheather » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:44 pm

30 x 18 is a good size.
Perches can be placed any way you like and the birds will still fly side to side. Two perches running back to front on the left and right about 2.5 inches from the sides, a swing in the middle and a long perch run from one side to the other about 4 inches from the floor is a good setup and one I use a lot.

A nest is not needed, they can roost on a perch. Nests just increase aggression and egg-laying in females. A pair of females is the most likely to get along without aggression issues.

Finches don't play much, budgie toys go unused, but some appreciate a clump of jute twin to preen, or a clump of craft feathers, with a little bell tied on to make some noise. They enjoy swings, and may enjoy a mirror, but sometimes one bonds to its reflection and then attacks its cage mate to protect it (these aren't very clever birds.)

They enjoy silk flowers or leaves to roost in at night, they will pull the leaves and arrange them as they like, it also makes the cage pretty.

I clean my papers every other day, you should never have to remove the birds from the cage to clean it. I only use water on a wash cloth, or very rarely some dawn dish soap, to wipe any poop off perches, bars or leaves when I clean the papers. Wash food dishes weekly and water tubes every 2 or 3 days, with dish soap, just make sure to rinse it well.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:09 pm

A nest is not needed for finches that aren't breeding. I only use nests when breeding finches! If you don't want any egg laying at all then I'd recommend two males. Finches don't really play with toys but I find that mine really like swings. As for perches make sure you have a variety and definitely at least one branch perch. I'm not sure what your cage is like for setting up but just make sure they have as much flying space as possible. The cage itself needs to be reasonably big as finches love to fly. I'd also recommend putting some leafy pitisporum branches in the cage. It makes it more natural for the finches. Cage cleaning should take place regularly. Not sure exactly how often, I guess it depends how dirty it gets. Hope this has helped to answer some of your questions!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:30 pm

I wouldn't recommend two males.
I had two male zebras that started out bonded and then over time, one started trying to murder the other.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Sheather wrote: I wouldn't recommend two males.
I had two male zebras that started out bonded and then over time, one started trying to murder the other.
How strange, I use to have 1 female and 3 males all in together and they didn't murder each other at all. Usually when I say "get two males" I'd recommend two brothers. I've found two brothers to be very happy together, snuggling up together and all.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Post by Amazon1610 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Very helpful, friends! I'll definitely keep this all in mind.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:48 am

Flight Feathers ur right about this siblings always stay good friends I’ve found this
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3