Cage lighting for finches

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Cage lighting for finches

Post by Chimelette » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Hello again bird moms and dads!

Previously, I briefly had a canary and didnt realize they were so light sensitive! Thankfully, I was informed about how to properly care for her even though I wasn't able to keep her in the end. Giving it some more thought, I started wondering if my zebra and society need special lights and does it need to be properly timed?( like do they need to be on or off at a certain time like how canaries need to be covered up when it's sunset) They have a heat lamp for when it's chilly but do they need full spectrum lights as well? I do give them multivitamins in their water and feed them eggfood as well.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Cage lighting for finches

Post by Sheather » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:52 pm

These are tropical species, meaning their molting is not tied to the day length, and so in this regard they are not in need of special lighting.

A full spectrum light would be appreciated, as birds see in colors we don't which are only provided by sunlight or full spectrum bulbs (not normal light bulbs) and are visibly more active and lively in full spectrum lighting. However, if they are getting vitamin supplementation this is not a requirement. If you can get them near a window where they can get some natural sun, that's usually good enough for them.

Some say windows block the beneficial rays of sunlight but even so my birds cheer up greatly on a sunny day when the room is bright with natural light so they do notice the change.
~Dylan

~~~

Chimelette
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Cage lighting for finches

Post by Chimelette » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:03 pm

Sheather oh wow! Thank you so much. That's a relief. My birds are by a window but the direction my window faces doesn't get much natural light so I worried that it would bother them. I was always wondering, since I'm up a little late some night, will the lights bother them or does it not really matter?