Winter housing

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Birdsandstuff
Pip
Pip

Winter housing

Post by Birdsandstuff » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:51 am

I recently built a 5’x5’x5’ aviary that is enclosed on 3 1/2 sides. It is made of rough cut lumber, so there are small gaps in the walls, I plan to put a small layer of spray insulation on the inside to solve this issue. This will be situated outside our chicken coop and used to breed a small number of birds mostly for personal enjoyment (possibly finches, I originally built this for pigeons). My question is, can finches toerate cold temperatures as long as the are out of the wind and kept dry? What would this type of aviary be suitable for? I’m worried about winter temps that can reach into the single digit negatives (I don’t mind giving them a heat lamp or something on extremely cold nights such as that). I really want zebra or society finches, but I don’t want them to get too cold. Can I treat them the same as I would my pigeons as far as temperatures? I’ve heard that people keep them outside in much colder climates than mine. Any info would be appreciated!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Winter housing

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Where are you located? And, the type of finch would make a lot of difference.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 pm

I wouldn't house finches next to a chicken coop. Chickens can have parasites that they could get. They might also ingest some of that insulation. I don't think finches can tolerate harsh weather as much as pigeons can.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 pm

single digit negatives
Is that temperature in degrees in C. of F.? BIG difference.

As suggested above, put your location into your profile. It will be helpful.

I know that Gouldians will tolerate a light overnight freeze in an outdoor aviary as long as the days warm up above freezing.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:21 am

Birdsandstuff wrote: I recently built a 5’x5’x5’ aviary that is enclosed on 3 1/2 sides. It is made of rough cut lumber, so there are small gaps in the walls, I plan to put a small layer of spray insulation on the inside to solve this issue. This will be situated outside our chicken coop and used to breed a small number of birds mostly for personal enjoyment (possibly finches, I originally built this for pigeons). My question is, can finches toerate cold temperatures as long as the are out of the wind and kept dry? What would this type of aviary be suitable for? I’m worried about winter temps that can reach into the single digit negatives (I don’t mind giving them a heat lamp or something on extremely cold nights such as that). I really want zebra or society finches, but I don’t want them to get too cold. Can I treat them the same as I would my pigeons as far as temperatures? I’ve heard that people keep them outside in much colder climates than mine. Any info would be appreciated!
My Zebs survive the cold fine but it depends just how cold it gets. NZ may not get as cold as where you live.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 am

Flight Feathers, what is a low temperature where you are? I look at average temperature and record low, but New Zealand is hard to pin down--lots of climates there.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Dave wrote: Flight Feathers, what is a low temperature where you are? I look at average temperature and record low, but New Zealand is hard to pin down--lots of climates there.
Maybe just below 0 degrees Celsius? Like -2 maybe? Or even below that? I don’t really keep track but I know that it does get very cold sometimes.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds