What's The Problem With Round Cages?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

What's The Problem With Round Cages?

Post by Amazon1610 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:33 pm

So I've read here and there that round cages can be damaging to a birds mental health. To confirm this I wanted to float the question to you all.

So why exactly are round cage unhealthy for birds? What are the effects on birds behavior wise? Have you had any experience with using them? And as a speculative question: why are they still made if they're so harmful to birds.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: What's The Problem With Round Cages?

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Round cages are far to up and down. My saying is “birds aren’t helicopters.” :D Cages need to be nice and long so the birds can fly across. Round cages are made with no thought to the poor bird that will have to live inside it... I’ve also heard that it can be scary for the birds because there are no corners so they can feel threatened (This is just something I heard) However I do use round cages for separation cages or for when I have sick Turks or budgies but they only stay in the cage for a couple of days.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Following on from what flightfeathers said they also are hard for the birds to land on the wire as the bars are curved this therefore damaged there feet because when you stick your hand in to change food and water etc they fly to the bars and they’re toes are in an awkward position that damage them
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:45 pm

Amazon1610

It's also an issue of geometry; a round cage is kind of like a square cage with the corners cut off. In effect, you could be losing close to 1/4 the volume. For example:

A square base with side lengths of 1 foot would give you 1 square foot of area. A=b^2
A circular base with a diameter of 1 foot would give you around 3/4 square feet. A=πr^2 or π(d/2)^2

Both cages would fill a 1-foot by 1-foot space in your house, but so long as the height is the same, the square cage will give more flying space for the bird.

Adding to what Flight Feathers said, corners and can help the bird feel more secure. Corners are often thicker, making them appear more solid. Birds may think that they can be ambushed from behind in open spaces, so a solid object behind them should help them feel more protected. This why it is recommended for a cage to have at least one solid wall or hiding place.

Round cages are still made because people buy them; not everyone does the research. So long is something is profitable, businesses will continue selling the product, even if it is inadequate.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Icearstorm just to add to u just as cigarets are still sold even though they are terrible
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Post by Amazon1610 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Flight Feathers wrote: Round cages are far to up and down. My saying is “birds aren’t helicopters.” :D Cages need to be nice and long so the birds can fly across. Round cages are made with no thought to the poor bird that will have to live inside it... I’ve also heard that it can be scary for the birds because there are no corners so they can feel threatened (This is just something I heard) However I do use round cages for separation cages or for when I have sick Turks or budgies but they only stay in the cage for a couple of days.
I love your saying! You're right, most birds, just by my observation, prefer room to fly horizontally. I know now that finches and canaries in particular absolutely need lots of room length wise because they fly often. And yeah, I'm sure housing them in round cages in an emergency for a few days wouldn't kill them, and it might save you money since pet stores typically sell a few small, cheap ones. At least mine does.

Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Post by Amazon1610 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Fraza wrote: Following on from what flightfeathers said they also are hard for the birds to land on the wire as the bars are curved this therefore damaged there feet because when you stick your hand in to change food and water etc they fly to the bars and they’re toes are in an awkward position that damage them
Wow I would never have thought of that. And I see what you're saying. Using them for a few days probably wouldn't be much of a problem, but people do house birds permanently or for long periods of time in them. Similar to cigarettes, long time usage could be extremely damaging.

Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Post by Amazon1610 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 pm

Icearstorm wrote: Amazon1610

It's also an issue of geometry; a round cage is kind of like a square cage with the corners cut off. In effect, you could be losing close to 1/4 the volume. For example:

A square base with side lengths of 1 foot would give you 1 square foot of area. A=b^2
A circular base with a diameter of 1 foot would give you around 3/4 square feet. A=πr^2 or π(d/2)^2

Both cages would fill a 1-foot by 1-foot space in your house, but so long as the height is the same, the square cage will give more flying space for the bird.

Adding to what Flight Feathers said, corners and can help the bird feel more secure. Corners are often thicker, making them appear more solid. Birds may think that they can be ambushed from behind in open spaces, so a solid object behind them should help them feel more protected. This why it is recommended for a cage to have at least one solid wall or hiding place.

Round cages are still made because people buy them; not everyone does the research. So long is something is profitable, businesses will continue selling the product, even if it is inadequate.
Thank you for the math. And very true about the corners bow that I think about it. My parakeets love sleeping near the corners, and they particularly spend lots of time sitting on a mirror-perch, I assume because of the security it offers. And yes it's very unfortunate that businesses sell products for the profit even when they know it could be dangerous and don't provide any warnings or suggestions on them.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:35 am

Amazon1610 yep it’s weird isn’t it same with certain plastic perches and stuff
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:23 am

I also think that ANY all-wire cage is a problem. I've seen flighty, nervous birds calm down when they're put in a box cage, with only the front being wire. They feel much more secure, I think, without seeing things come at them from all sides.

I had a large plastic cage once, and the bird in there were bouncing around like ping-pong balls. I painted the insides with flat paint, so it was opaque from all sides except the front. The bird calmed right down.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:12 am

Dave I agree aswell I have 3 pairs of birds in breeding cages and they aren’t half as scared as my other two pairs in open cages. However what’s weird is the ones breeding in the aviary are the least scared ???
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:35 am

I use the smaller cages to take my birds to the vet...as theyre much lighter. The flight cages are too heavy to move

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:46 am

Fraza, I've noticed that as well. Besides some breeding cages, I have a large walk-in aviary. The birds in there can just scoot to the other end when I enter. They don't show any panic at all.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Dave yea it’s true sometimes they’re just next to my shoulder munching on cuttle bone and am like hi and then it flutters over into the plants/ corners like u said they must just feel safe
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Fraza

Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind. The cigarette companies even made up their own "research" that said that cigarettes weren't harmful. Now a similar thing is happening with highly processed food and pesticide manufacturers in the US, even though independent studies have shown that some of those products are slowly killing us.