My NEW DIY (Not very good) small Aviary.

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

My NEW DIY (Not very good) small Aviary.

Post by ShannTmw » Thu May 17, 2018 2:11 pm

I’ve never worked with wood or tools before (other then popsicle stick and glue!) so this is all I could come up with.
I have 6 finches, two zebra males, two zebra females and two society males. I had two pairs in three different cages then introduced them all in the Aviary. So far everything is great. My two society’s love everyone and want to be with them but they seem to be left out a lot. The older pair seem to run the cage and to be 100% honest my Kiwi, who can’t fly the best and has a lame wing is the most dominant in the cage next to her mate! I was so surprised! I thought she’d be bullied.
My new baby tho who is only around 2-3 months old might be having her first clutch... I’m not planning on letting them keep the babies.
I had a woman ask me if I wanted her two 6 week old babies. She didn’t have a cage for them and the father was attacking them. She didn’t have any of them in the proper cages (very small) and didn’t have proper food either, I felt terrible leaving them so I took the babies.
There is a male and female zebra and they adore each other. But I’m not sure if they were as young as she said. Anyways it seems like she’s having her first clutch and she’s very stressed. She’s eating her eggs and cuddlebone but I’m not sure what else I can do for her. I feel terrible because she is so young and I know it isn’t right.
Anyways. TThe point of the post!
I had an issue getting a cage online so I built one myself. It didn’t take me long and it was fairly cheap!
I’m very proud!
I haven’t built the stand yet but that’s the next part!
Attachments
Ambrose is the most aggressive I have. He doesn’t pick on any one in particular but he does chase and hiss at everyone. Over food and if they go to his nest. (That’s normal right?)
Ambrose is the most aggressive I have. He doesn’t pick on any one in particular but he does chase and hiss at everyone. Over food and if they go to his nest. (That’s normal right?)
This is Amethyst, she’s still young. I’m not sure how old exactly. Around 2-3 months.
This is Amethyst, she’s still young. I’m not sure how old exactly. Around 2-3 months.
Kiwi, her lame wing on display. Very vocal and proud! She’s a diva and the oldest by a couple weeks! A year old in August.
Kiwi, her lame wing on display. Very vocal and proud! She’s a diva and the oldest by a couple weeks! A year old in August.
All the decor put in. I have all their nests in for them... even if I don’t want my babies having babies...
All the decor put in. I have all their nests in for them... even if I don’t want my babies having babies...
The Aviary. I made a place where I can separate it isn’t two cages if I need too. To clean or if I have naughty birds haha! <br />6,9 ft long, 24 in deep and 3.6 for tall!
The Aviary. I made a place where I can separate it isn’t two cages if I need too. To clean or if I have naughty birds haha!
6,9 ft long, 24 in deep and 3.6 for tall!
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Re: My NEW DIY (Not very good) small Aviary.

Post by ShannTmw » Thu May 17, 2018 2:21 pm

A few more pic...
Attachments
Nike, java and Amethyst
Nike, java and Amethyst
Everyone trying to eat at the same time. Tho there are two set of other dishes about two feet to their left... of course haha.
Everyone trying to eat at the same time. Tho there are two set of other dishes about two feet to their left... of course haha.
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 pm

All looks very good I can’t belive it’s your first time building and bet all ur bird are very happy and I agree those finches look older than fledglings lol but ohwell atkeast u got two for free
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm

That is a good idea, being able to separate it. You can chase the birds to one side for cleaning and maintenance. I wish I'd done that!
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by finchman » Thu May 17, 2018 4:52 pm

I think it looks great! A very nice home for your finches! =D>

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Congratulations my lady for that job, =D> yes it's a perfect job coming from a lady even me i confess it cant do an equal to yours :oops:.
But simething is wrong never, you should never put 2 zebra finch pairs together and u worst the case by the present nest, it will the civil war in your aviary
Zebras by pair go like this
1pair
Or 3and +pairs.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am

That looks wonderful!
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Fri May 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Oh really? Do I take out both nests? I did that and they nested in the food bowls... I didn’t know I shouldn’t have only two pairs of zebras. They do hiss and chase each other away from their nests but they seem to get along. They chase the societies more tho.
Any suggestions on placement for things? I can remove the nests.
Also what I’d like everyone’s opinion on how many birds would be comfortable in this cage. I wanted two more societies because my boys aren’t very happy.
THanks everyone, for the compliments.
Should I make another post with my new questions?
Shann

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:44 pm

That's a damn good job! I love the opening for a person.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat May 19, 2018 4:52 am

ShannTmw yep there’s definetly enough room in there and it would be better gettigntwo more societys to increase there dokinence society’s sometikes get bullied until u get one that stands it back and then the others will copy at the moment your probabalt having territorial issues aswell as it’s a new cage, but it is a rule to have a pair of zebs or 3

Goodluck
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Tue May 22, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm def going to be getting more when I have to chance. So i'll get two more zebras? And if I need to i can move my societies out when I get a cage for them. Or i can get more societies for them. If i put my two societies in a different (adequate) cage would they be fine with another pair? Only two pairs of societies or are they better in 6 as well? My boys are a bit aggressive with each other and I can tell they want friends, (and females...) They are always trying to sing to my zeb females haha....
But thanks for the advice!!! Im going to do what ever I need to make them all happy!
Shann

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm

ShannTmw I woukd suggest more society’s than zebras
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Thu May 24, 2018 7:03 am

This is a nice aviary! Very nice!
But now don't make the mistake and overcrowd it. Six birds should be more than enough.

Lots of sexism in this forum, too. Sad.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 am

im Guessing ur cage is big enough for about 10-12 birds a slog as small finches not Java’s etc
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 am

Actually 12-15
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL