Cage Liner

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
skong
Pip
Pip

Cage Liner

Post by skong » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Hello!

I have four healthy zebra finches in my flight cage (mom, dad and two fledglings) and I am beginning to notice a slight odor they have made in my apartment. I clean their cage daily/ replace food and water daily but there is a change in scent in the air. Does anyone have recommendations for cage liners/ bedding that work well to absorb odors?

Thank you!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Cage Liner

Post by Fraza » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 pm

skong I highly doubt this smell is caused off the birds if I’m being completely honest I have a full aviary and that doesn’t even cause a smell also I have a pair of Java’s with three fledged chicks and they haven’t created an Odor

Could it be from the apartments inner building maybe ask next door if they can smell it

Goodluck
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:26 am

There is a light smell around a cage. I don't think you can stop that. Cats smell and dogs smell, too. Every nose smells differently, so as long as it isn't a 'problematic' odour, just keep all clean and have a good ventilation.
People who don't own birds and get near a cage always smell this particular bird-odour. To me, it is a pleasant smell as long as it is faint.

skong
Pip
Pip

Post by skong » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks! It’s not a potent smell but there has definitely been a change in the air since I adopted my birds. I will continue to keep it clean, do you know if Cedar pellets work better as bedding?

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:24 am

There is a cleaning product you can buy on Amazon called "Poop Off"
Some say it has a very pleasant clean smelling odor. Comes in a large spray bottle and works fine as a cleaner and deodorizer.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 am

skong I use hay this seems to work well and you can sort of air it out leaving it out of ur balcony or window so it doesn’t smell then use this for bedding
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:12 pm

skong

I'm constantly working to keep the bird room smelling nice. Birds definitely have an odor. I don't know where it comes from, but I'm pretty sure it's their dander.

In my largest cage for litter I use straw, leaves, bark, lavender, rosemary, thyme, rose petals, or whatever I have in the garden that smells nice. The birds love to forage in it, and it makes the room smell fresh and clean. I also keep a small air purifier going 24/7 and change the filter monthly.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Cedar is toxic to birds. As are air freshners. Birds don't have an odor, but if there is bacteria in the droppings, then you will notice an odor.

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Post by Yellowpurple » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:06 pm

I use air purifiers, otherwise the dander causes me breathing problems due to allergies and asthma.
One main problem is that the purifiers tend to pick up the bird scent over time and then help spread it around. Cleaning the purifiers regular and replace filters helps but if the smell stays or spreads, need to buy another purifier, so better to go with low price ones.
One of my most expensive purifier actually came with directions that said it would pick up strong scents over time.

I know people say ion ones r bad but they really help my breathing problems as long as not constant in smaller areas. In the past long ago I had birds with multiple ionizers in the room and they were happy and healthy before ion became considered bad. The one thing I know from personal experience is don't use ionizer in small spaces for long periods of time. I was using the ionizers in a 20' x 15' room with 2 doors leading to other areas.

Don't ever use Ozone purifier. They do eliminate mold odor in apartment bathroom from bad fan with no windows but made me very ill. Wouldn't ever use in house much less near birds.

The purifiers that have a blue germ kill light work the best and r considered safe
But it seems like the light gets dirty and can't be cleaned and that after a few months eliminates the germ killing ability.

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Post by Yellowpurple » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:31 am

For me the worst time for smell is after they take a bath, wet poop and wet paper smell, especially in late afternoon when warmest.
They love their blue open bath but it makes such a mess that if not cleaned quickly leads to odor. But in summer that would mean changing 2-3x per Day.
Thinking of getting a different bath.

In general smell will build up.
I agree with use of Poop Off to wipe down cage thoroughly. I find a little goes a long way, too much actually doesn't work as well as a little on a cloth or baby wipe.

Everything has a smell, and especially in hot weather will smell stronger. Humans don't tend to use scent as much as animals for identifying but we do get that familiar scent of someone we are close to daily. And poop us going to smell since after all it is waste product and not meant to smell nice unfortunately. :roll:

Anneka
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Anneka » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:38 pm

I don’t think birds smell and they really shouldn’t, but it could be their seed mix.