DIY sleep station?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
GailC
Pip
Pip

DIY sleep station?

Post by GailC » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:59 pm

After seeing a picture on here of a sleep station, I got to wondering if I could make something similar but big enough to fit all 5 of my societies?
I don't want to provide nests unless I'm breeding but it can get cool at night, especially in the winter so I'd like a sleeping solution that will help hold in body heat.
I thought about a happy hut but worry that could encourage breeding. I figured I could make a three sided box with a top and a perch inside. Could even find a way to line it with polar fleece. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: DIY sleep station?

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Easy enough to make. They like the security of a solid wall above and behind them.

The shell can be plywood with side walls, roof, and rear wall. The front is obviously open and there is no bottom so droppings don't accumulate.
The perch can be a dowel or a natural wood branch.
Side walls are +/- 4 1/2 or 5 inches square. Drill holes in the side walls for the perch. Remember to position the perch to allow for head room and enough room for them to sleep without their tails dragging on the back wall.
The roof, back wall and dowel perch can be as long as you desire. Six or 8 inches would be plenty for you.

And polar fleece??? Seriously? They cuddle to stay warm.

GailC
Pip
Pip

Re: DIY sleep station?

Post by GailC » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks, thats about what I had planned. Yes, polar fleece. Guess I'm just used to keeping parrots, they like cuddly fleece things.