Blocking window light

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Blocking window light

Post by canary3000 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Does anybody know a good way to block all light coming from a window. Im going to use artificial lighting and a timer. I can't have outside sunlight interfering. Not tinted. I thought maybe cutting cardboard squares might work. As long as no light filters thru. Any suggestions?

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Blocking window light

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:34 pm

I don't understand why you would want to block the light from the window.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Doesn't make sense to me either!

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 am

Why would you block light from the window? Your finches need the natural light.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 am

canary3000

Blackout curtains should work okay for the most part; a little light would probably come through the gap between the curtains and wall, but it shouldn't be enough to mess up the birds' photoperiod. It's also nice to have the option to easily unblock the windows and let the light come in during the day. Buy curtains larger than the window, put the curtain rod several feet above the window, and have the curtains extend a few feet either side of the window, and it will block out even more light.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 pm

You shouldn't keep birds, if they have to live in the dark.

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:15 pm

My friend Gus helped me in explaining the reason for blackout windows and the light timer.
Many breeder begin the breeding mode for birds in December. That way they have birds available for shows and to sell when it's warm.
With the sun black out you control the light and duration.
My birds get lots of light. Breeders are able to control when they breed. You basically train them. Over a period increasing light in December, my canaries are eager to breed. After two nests, I start to reduce the light with my timer. So then they go into molt and then a rest period for several months. It's all about timing your birds. In winter we get short daylight. So my birds are not interested in breeding. Outside light would mess them up, perhaps go into a molt. I could certainly let in light during the day. Especially for fresh air. Large breeders are known to do this. As far as wildbird comment. I take such comments with a grain of salt.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:24 pm

wildbird

canary3000 said
Im going to use artificial lighting and a timer.
They're not going to be living in the dark.

As to why canary3000 wants to block natural light, I don't know, but I would guess it's because the photoperiod the birds would get from the light outside would be wrong. If the birds are on a shorter winter-like photoperiod but the light outside lasts for several hours longer than they are used to, this could be a problem. This would probably be more important for birds like canaries, since their moulting seems to be more influenced by the photoperiod than other birds.

When I bought birds a year or so ago, it was clear that their circadian rhythms didn't quite match up with the hours of natural light, and it took a few weeks for them to adjust. Right now I have their light on a timer and adjust it by 15 to 30 minutes or so every few weeks to keep up with the natural lighting, although they seem to be influenced more by the cage lighting than the window lighting (they roost several minutes before the cage light goes off, even when there is still some light coming through the window).

EDIT seems I was late to press reply, canary3000 already explained

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:25 am

When one of my daughters was a teenager, she blocked the light from the windows with aluminum foil. She cut the pieces exactly the size of the glass and taped them it. There was not a ray of natural light in that room. Thankfully her room was in the back of the house.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 am

ann wrote: When one of my daughters was a teenager, she blocked the light from the windows with aluminum foil. She cut the pieces exactly the size of the glass and taped them it. There was not a ray of natural light in that room. Thankfully her room was in the back of the house.
Thanks, that sounds like a very cost effective idea. Going to try it today when I get home.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:01 pm

wildbird wrote: You shouldn't keep birds, if they have to live in the dark.
They aren't going to live in the dark, they will have artificial lighting. In the north, some breeders use their basements as their bird room, and so they depend on artificial light. I understand that canaries are much more sensitive to light periods for breeding than most finches, so breeders need to control photo periods.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:17 pm

I wonder how canaries managed to breed in the wild.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:28 am

In the spring, when they're meant to, I don't recommend artificial light if you have access to sunlight, it's superior for their health and activity levels.
~Dylan

~~~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:17 am

I know a Canary breeder that had his birds in the basement, and he adjusted the light start time to match his work schedule. They didn't have morning until 11:00 a.m.

He followed the natural lengthening and shortening of day length; but all based on the 11:00 a.m. start.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries