Double Flight cage? Large Wheels?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Double Flight cage? Large Wheels?

Post by Yellowpurple » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:35 pm

I have a single flight cage, black with some silver within the black.

I would love to get a double wide.

But I have joint problems and muscle degeneration that limit my bending and reach and very limited strengh. and would be taking care of any cage on my own.

I also don't want another black cage. Would want something light colored on a cage that big.

I looked on Amazon but was surprised how limited their select was. Actually could only find 1 white double flight cage.

Weight 100 pds

Has anyone been able to add large heavy duty wheels to make it much easier to move?

The seller said the doors are spring loaded locks.
This would be a problem for me with my very limited strength in my fingers/thumbs.
Any way to take the spring part out and make it a slide lock instead?

The bottom shelf is super low, no way I can bend to vacuum and wipe under cage without moving it constantly.
Any type of vacuum extension that gets under low areas without need to bend?

Any other cages in same price range that r not black nor gray that u know of? This cage is $200

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Re: Double Flight cage? Large Wheels?

Post by Yellowpurple » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Having a hard time posting a picture of it
Attachments
614UCGkwrnL.jpg

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Post by Yellowpurple » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Since I have only society finches
Thinking about gouldian or canary

I don't need a heavy duty parrot type cage

Lighter the weight the better

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:57 pm

People like black cages because it is so much easier to see the birds in a black cage.

Abba Seed has the largest selection of cages that I know about:
http://www.abbaseed.com/CAGES/cages.html
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Post by Yellowpurple » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:46 pm

HillbillyFinch
Dave
Thank you for suggestions

I'm looking for a bigger cage then what I currently have.
I want one double wide with removable divider

See picture below of my current cage.

It is a nice cage and wheels move well.
Unfortunately a large gap was left between removable grill and tray.
Making the grill not really removable.
Hard to see in pictures how wide the bottom gap is which is why I purchased it otherwise I wouldn't have.
The white tray u see is a bin lid I added to the bottom which catches some of the seed mess but isn't the right size unfortunately to fully block the gap between grill and tray if I remove grill to clean
But that bin lid fits easily between gap gives some idea how wide that gap is
Attachments
20180820_161054.jpg

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Post by Yellowpurple » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:47 am

What I'm hoping for is an aviary with wheels for indoors

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:56 pm

Yellowpurple I don't have this cage, so not sure I can help. I have the HQ and A&E double flight cages, which are more than double the price, so they are probably sturdier than this one. I find that my double flights roll easily to be able to clean underneath. I don't like grates, so I take them out, and then slide the tray in the slot for the grate. On HQ cages, this works, but I can't guarantee this would work on the one you are looking at. The tray wants to bow in the middle, so I slide wood pieces under the tray to support the middle. This takes care of the gap.

I have one single flight that is a bit different, and when I moved the tray up to the grate slots, it left a huge gap. I fixed this by buying a piece of wood trim, painting it to match the cage, and then fastening it with zip ties. This way, the wood trim swings up to let me pull out the tray.

Depending on the size of your birds, the gap where the divider would go is fairly big, but I haven't had any trouble with birds getting out. Another set of cages has an even bigger divider slot, so again I cut quarter-round trim to fit and zip-tied it in place. It is kind of a pain though, to have to remove the trim piece any time I want to put in the divider.

In the photo, the locks look like the type that just slides across and down, not spring loaded.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am

Yellowpurple

For vacuuming under the flights may I suggest this. All my double flights ( I have 4) have those low shelves and my flights are on carpet. It get the seed up easily and bends in the middle of the handle (extremely lightweight).........and its rechargeable so no cord. I can vacuum for 2 hours without it needing a recharge. And its quiet. Its slides neatly right under the shelves on the flights....and it pivets!! I LOVE mine!

Called: Shark $50 Sold at Walmart.
Attachments
shark.jpg

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:22 am

Yellowpurple

As you can see, I dont have room to pull out all my flights. The vacuum I mentioned fits right underneath all of them. I would be lost without it.
Attachments
loft2 (2).jpg
loft2 (1).jpg

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:09 am

Sally
Babs
Thank you

Babs - I ordered the $50 Shark from Walmart. Super wonderful! 8)
I had looked on Amazon but only saw $200-$300 ones.
Ur a life saver, (id been envisioning a regular tug of war with the cage) #-o
and knee and back saver too :D

My double wide is due to arrive tomorrow!

Sally - I have been putting paper over the grill to cover it since I don't like the grill either. I found myself cleaning the tray still and also the floor, so I removed the tray completely (the tray was super flimsy and already with a cracked piece)
I purchased some butcher paper from Amazon and it has done a good job not letting any mess soak through from their bath time. So I haven't cleaned the grill yet. But I'm looking forward to moving the birds to their double flight cage so I can clean thoroughly without feeling bad about upsetting the birds nor worry about the gap since I can just put the divider in.
Yes with the lower price likely to be not so sturdy, will post a picture once I get it assembled.
The customer pictures on Amazon show variations on color so I'm not really sure even what color it will truly be. But at the price I just couldn't resist.
I was thinking of using my current cage possibly for a Canary. I think the gap could be reduced enough not to be too likely for a Canary size to escape easily. Would 2 female canary be ok together in that size cage or just 1 canary? I read somewhere better 1 or 3 but not 2 canary together?
I would prefer if I got a Canary to have all birds in the double wide but would a Canary stress out the society finches?

I noticed that when bird sizes r given online it is only the length but a waxbill whose size is given as about 4" is much smaller/thinner/tiny than a society that is given at about 4.5" and a Canary I think is between 5-6 in but looks fuller and definitely bigger than society.

What r the biggest (width) of finches available? (canary? )

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:32 am

The cage does have a springlock
It has a metal piece in the center which makes it all the more difficult to maneuver the spring lock around that metal center.
One door the metal center was too big and the lock couldn't even get around it. The person who assembled it for me had to use pliers to pull the metal piece to allow the lock to get around it, but still a bit stuck and not easy.

It is very like weight. Material feels more like plastic.
There is a bigger gap between the grill and cage than in the black cage.

The bottom shelf I put contact paper on in hopes of reducing mess getting under cage
Attachments
20180828_185129-1.jpg

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:23 pm

I was cleaning the black cage that I purchased from Amazon and used for 1 week.
The rims around the area where the birds bathe daily was already badly rusty.
Something to be careful of and aware of when buying bird cages that they r not rust resistant to even basic birds baths
Attachments
20180901_152814.jpg
20180816_171331-1.jpg

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:33 am

I have two of the A&E double flights, and even tho they are about a hundred pounds, they roll fairly well on their own wheels.

Most of the big, double wide cages do NOT have the small access doors on them, only the big ones with the latch. With small birds inside, this is a much bigger escape risk. So check the cages you look at carefully if these are important to you.

Amazon is not always the best place to get cages cheaply. Search in general for what you want, and then compare details and models and shipping, if extra, to find just the right cage. it's out there, and it will be at a good price. Might just take a little bit to find it.

For every name brand double flight cage out there, there are also cheaper knock-offs. But...they are cheaper knockoffs, and it often shows up in bending bars, cheap latches, poor wheels, tendency to rust, smaller dimensions....look for reviews and complaints on both the cage and the seller.

Do check the dimensions of cages you look at carefully. The pictures will all look the same, but some of the cages are several inches smaller in length and width than others, and two or three inches smaller in length and width, when multiplied by the overall size of the cage, makes a BIG difference in the space inside it.

As for black vs white, I have both, as well as two in "sandstone", and the birds show up in all colors. I actually prefer the lighter cages, especially as I have them in front of a very light green wall. Good lighting is the biggest factor in how well you can see the birds inside.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Gracie85 - thank you

Best lighting for winter months?
Amazon links?