Sand Perch Swing

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
singsong
Pip
Pip

Sand Perch Swing

Post by singsong » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi, everyone! When I got my first finches a few weeks ago, I bought some accessories from the pet shop as well. I foolishly assumed that anything the store had in the display cage was good and safe for finches, but although the shop has a very good local reputation, it seems that wasn't true.

One of the things I bought was a swing similar to this one: JW Pet InSight Sand Bird Perch Swing. After reading and research, I realize that sandpaper perches are not a good thing. :(

My conundrum is they seem to really love this swing. It's wide enough for two of them to share it and swings freely. They use it all the time and sometimes even roost on it at night. How important do you think it is to replace this ASAP? How likely is it that this one swing will cause foot problems? (The rest of their perches are all natural branch perches.)

ETA: I'm thinking of trying to smooth it out or wrap it somehow so it's safe for them. Any ideas?

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Sand Perch Swing

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:01 pm

No rush.
You may be able to pull the wire out from the ends of the perch; pitch it; cut a piece of natural branch; punch with a tiny nail or drill a pilot hole in the ends of the perch and reinsert the wires.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:57 pm

singsong
I have been using these same swings for five years and my birds love them. They do help nails be trimmed and don't cause harm as long as it's not the only perch in the cage.
~Dylan

~~~

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 pm

Sheather
So sand perches are OK if limited use (i.e.swing with other perches available)? I know they can be harmful to feet if primary perch. Nice to know limited use is OK and does help keep nails trimmed. Not aware of that. Thanks for info

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 am

Hi all,

I have two sand perches and two natural branch perches. I never read them were a problem. What problems do they cause? Of the two sand perches, one they bounce around on but it’s not their roosting perch. I like that it keeps the nails short.

Much thanks

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:44 am

Birds that have only a sand perch to sit on can get blisters on their feet. If they have options, they don't spend all their time on them and they perform their intended function.
~Dylan

~~~