My First aviary

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
bangkokbrian47
Pip
Pip

My First aviary

Post by bangkokbrian47 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:09 am

This will be my first aviary.
I live in Nakhon Phanom, Thailand and being retired have time on my hands. I kept budgies in flight cages in my youth but now I am building my first aviary and it's for finches.
In Thailand most of the timber is hardwood so I'm using 50mm x 25mm framing and making my aviary in sections which will be bolted together.
It'll be approx 3.5mtr x 1.8mtr x 2.1mtr high.
My biggest problem has been unable to find suitable wire mesh in Thailand so I'm having to import it from China and it's due to arrive at the end of the month - fingers crossed.
The other major problem is finding good quality breeders here with birds to sell. I'm a long way from Bangkok and the notorious bird market there but I'm putting out feelers and hoping to find a good source (major language problems here on my part - wish me luck).
The forum has been hugely helpful in providing loads of information about the needs of our wonderful finch companions, so thanks to all of you for your help so far.
I'm sure I'll be needing a lot more in the future.

Here are some pics of progress so far.
Attachments
Making the first section
Making the first section
Aviary Build 1.jpg (114.97 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Sections stacked and ready for assembly
Sections stacked and ready for assembly
Aviary Build 2.jpg (108.99 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Swivel feeding hatch
Swivel feeding hatch
Aviary Build 3.jpg (85.84 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Entrance and catch area
Entrance and catch area
Aviary Build 4.jpg (105.02 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Assembly of Sections completed
Assembly of Sections completed
Aviary Build 5.jpg (98.39 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: My First aviary

Post by wildbird » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:05 am

Beautiful sized aviary! the birds will love it!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 am

bangkokbrian47 really nice aviary I think they will all love it

I’d suggest adding a roof on the top of it just as it stops water getting in that can make stuff mouldy and seeds etc

Also plz show us pics of the birds in there I wish I was closer I’d give you some !!!!
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

bangkokbrian47
Pip
Pip

Post by bangkokbrian47 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:00 am

Wildbird, Fraza,
Thanks for your kind words.
I've now received my wire mesh from China (only took 4 days) and I'm busy netting up the panels - hot work when the temperatures are in the mid 30C.
And yes, Fraza, while the entire aviary is underneath my car port I will be roofing the side which is exposed the the prevailing winds/rain. I'm also going to get a heavy duty, clear pvc roll up/down blind (used a lot here in Thailand in front of shops and dwellings) to keep out the worst of the wind and rain.

I've also joined a Facebook group here in Thailand devoted to the buying/selling of canaries and finches. Trouble is it's all in Thai and Googles translation leaves a lot to be desired when, for example, male and female appear as men and wives :roll:. However, I have managed to find a couple of members who are not Thai, a Swiss guy and an American so hopefully they'll be able to help out with finding suitable birds for me. I'm going to message them later on this evening.

One thing I have noticed (if I've got the translation right) is that the price of birds is very reasonable, e.g. a pair of Gouldians at THB1000 (about £25). Got to be good, right :D .

Again thanks for your responses and when I get to the bird buying stage I think I'll need more of your help.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:26 pm

bangkokbrian47 ooo it’s exiting can’t wait till al the birds are in there
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3