New housing and flight.

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Chunty
Pip
Pip

New housing and flight.

Post by Chunty » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:14 pm

I have a 6x4ft shed which i have set up for finches.Joining on to this is a 6x4ft flight area.
When i introduce the finches, is it best to keep them in the shed for a set amount of time so that they get used to it and then let them have access to the flight or is it ok to let them use both from the start.Any information would be appreciated

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: New housing and flight.

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:45 pm

What kind of finches do you have? Some species are fearful and some are adventuresome. Canaries, for instance, are fearless and will adapt to a new area in a day, sometimes in a few hours.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Chunty
Pip
Pip

Post by Chunty » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:50 pm

I have zebra finches at the moment

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:11 am

OK. This is what I would do:

Introduce the birds into the shed portion, closing off the outside portion. Put food and water in several places, using the dishes you've used before if you can.

Then, watch. See if they find the food and water, see if there are safety problems you didn't anticipate.

Once you open the outside portion, watch especially for predators (cats are a problem for mine, and Cooper's Hawks). And, so your birds will go inside for the night, leave your inside lights on for a few minutes after dark.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Chunty
Pip
Pip

Post by Chunty » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks for the info. The shed and flight are totally wired up so hopefully i will not have predator problems