Travel Carrier - 3 pairs - Road trip to cottage

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
d24smith
Pip
Pip

Travel Carrier - 3 pairs - Road trip to cottage

Post by d24smith » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Hello!

I’m a new finch owner! We have 3 pairs that live together in one flight cage (31”w x 21” d x 40” h): 2 spice finch, 2 gold-breasted waxbill and 2 orange-cheeked waxbill. They were happy together in the store where we found them, and 6 weeks in, they are still living together soundly. We plan to take them with us to the cottage this summer on long and extended weekends. I’m setting up a similar cage at the cottage with the same perches, bird bath, food dishes, etc in the same places to ease the transition each time.

I’m looking for any tips or advice about the car travel. And, I’ve seen many posts about travel carriers, but still not sure which to get. Is it best to transport each bird in a separate cage? Can they travel in pairs? Can they travel in a smaller flight cage in a group of six?

The drive to the cottage is about 200 km or 2 hours on a good day.

Thank you!

David

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Travel Carrier - 3 pairs - Road trip to cottage

Post by wildbird » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:13 pm

I would think they could travel in a smaller flight cage all together, if it's not too big. Be sure you can get it out of the vehicle quickly in case of an emergency. If that didn't work, than one cage for each pair should work. Be sure to tie cages down so they are secure, and keep the temperature comfortable for them. When sellers travel with the birds they will have for sale at bird marts, they keep several in a cage while traveling. Two hours isn't too long, but always prepare for longer in case something happens and things change along the way. Make sure they have water (a tube water bottle will work too), and seed. Don't leave them unattended in a vehicle. Good luck.

d24smith
Pip
Pip

Post by d24smith » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Thank you!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:33 pm

When I hve travelled about 1 hour and half to bird auctions I use a smaller cage with one perch so they all just stay still with a little food and water

They have always been fine doing this
Good luck
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3