Bird proofing my room

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
tobiask190
Pip
Pip

Bird proofing my room

Post by tobiask190 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 pm

I have two gouldian finches that I'd like to have free flight around my room. However, I don't know all about some of the hazards, do's and dont's, etc. about having birds free flying around a room.

Here's what I think is required:
  • My room is roughly 10x10
  • The blinds of my huge window should be partially closed
  • My closet doors should be closed
  • Protect my precious belongings from birb poop
  • Keep all the doors closed and lock them if necessary (or put a warning sign)
And that's about it. What I don't know how to do is how to get the birds back into their cage. Also, how do I deal with the poop (I do have a few ideas...)? From there, I'd need some tips and tricks. I appreciate the help! :D

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Bird proofing my room

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:06 pm

tobiask190

Mine eventually learned to go back on their own. At first you may want to leave treats out so they come out, but once they become comfortable, leave most of their food in the cage. I always leave the water in their cage, since eventually they will need to go back. If they don't understand how to get back, leaving some water outside could also be good. It did take a few months for mine to get comfortable going in and out though, so patience may be required. If you don't have a few hours to spend waiting for the birds to go back, don't let them out when they aren't super used to free flight; they don't like being chased or caught, so it's best not to if you can avoid it.

I vacuum up dried poo, and use an old rag and some water and/or distilled vinegar to clean up the wet stuff. If they have a favorite perch, you can put newspaper under it to make the cleanup easier.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 am

Birds like to perch on a high spot. Like Icearstorm said, put some newspaper there and you'll have taken care of most of the problem with mess. In fact, make a high spot (like on a top shelf) and the birds will most likely sit there.

Birds also fly toward light. If the room is somewhat darkened, and you have a small light on the cage, your birds will willingly fly back there. After a few days, you won't have to darken the room.

Most of all: sit there and watch. You'll soon see what the hazards and problems are, and you can adjust. Nothing is more important that just watching to see what the birds will do.

I'm glad you're letting your birds out of the cage. I think that a lot of problems (nutrition and health) are avoided when birds have plenty of exercise. That goes for humans, too! I'm on my way to the gym...
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am

I just let them out and let them figure things out. They'll bump the window before learning it's solid. I've never had one get into trouble. I'll usually chase new birds out of the cage with my hand once to get them to realize they can cross the threshold. After that, I let them find their way back in. It takes about a week before they are flying in and out at their own leisure though if the door is small they may struggle a bit at first to find it and fly around the sides of the cage until they blunder into it. Not usually a problem with a bigger door.
~Dylan

~~~