Which light should I use?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Dave H
Pip
Pip

Which light should I use?

Post by Dave H » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm so confused with all the lighting info out there & dont know what to get for the best. Please could somebody advise me on the correct lighting set up for my birds? Day light & night light? Lighting on a timer? Duration of lighting? Angle?

I have 2 Bengalese Finches in the Hagen Vision 2 cage (74.9 x 38.1 x 54.6cm).

The only option I have is to literally have 1 sat on top of the cage or have a floor standing version next to the cage & stand, as the stand is the right size & fit to have the cage sit on top of.

Thanks in advance

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Which light should I use?

Post by wildbird » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:44 pm

I wouldn't use led lighting. Several times I have heard on radio that it can damage the retina in your eyes and causes sleep disturbance. A trusted avian vet a long time ago told me that the old type light bulbs were best. Florescent lighting causes the birds to see a constant flicker. I had a Java finch that I know it caused problems with her. When the birds are inside, I have a lamp with the old type light bulbs in it. And at night I leave a lamp with one 60 watt bulb (old type) on all night. One half of the cage is covered, and the lamp is on the floor behind the cages, so they have a dark place to sleep, but can see if they get scared of something. Societies love to have a covered nest and will all sleep in it. The nest mine have is open, so I put a pillow case cover on top of the cage over and around where their nest is for privacy.

Dave H
Pip
Pip

Post by Dave H » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:27 pm

Thank you for the info. Going off your advice, I did a bit more shopping around today & went with the 'Zoo Med Deluxe Floor Lamp' & the Zoo Med Avian Sun 5.0 bulb'. Seems to be just what I'm looking for, so hopefully my birds benefit from it

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 am

wildbird, that advice sounds odd. There must be thousands of birds under LED lights, and more all the time. There are millions of humans under LED lights, and more all the time.

I use LED lights for my birds, 1 or 2 watts of LED light per square foot of cage floor area.

I have the light on one side of the cage, so the birds can either be directly under it or on the other side, away from it. By watching the bird's behavior, I haven't seen any preference.

The light doesn't need to be brilliant, just bright enough that you can easily see your birds.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:27 pm

It is not likely that you would be aware of the light damaging your eyes until after the damage is done. The same might be for the birds. To me it's not worth taking the chance.