Green singers with Strawberries and Parrot finches

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
sreno155
Pip
Pip

Green singers with Strawberries and Parrot finches

Post by sreno155 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi all
New to the forum and enjoy reading about everyone's finches and canaries.
When we lived in Colorado we started with a pair of Zebras. They were very prolific and soon had many babies. Loved how busy they always were and the continual beep beep beep. Ended up giving them away to a family with young children, who really enjoyed the Zebra antics.
We then purchased a pair of Gouldians, Societies and Green Singers. I grew to really like the Green Singers. They had a wonderful song that filled the whole house. Didn't have much luck breeding them so we sold the male and kept the female. Turns out the she was the better singer of the two.
Anticipating a move from Colorado we sold all of our finches back to who we bought them from.
Once we settled in Arizona we decided to have our finches again. We recently bought a rather larger cage here in AZ. 3'x3'x6' on rollers. Then filled the cage with pairs of Green Singers, Strawberries and Red Faced Parrot Finches.
The Green Singers are doing their thing, singing away. But they seem more aggressive towards the other birds. Should I keep them in a separate cage from the other birds? Would love to have the pairs breed and have babies but after approx. six months no luck.
Any ideas???

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Green singers with Strawberries and Parrot finches

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Green singers have a reputation of aggression. Your cage is roomy and if well planted there may be enough privacy areas to avid major trouble. That is not to say that mixing seemingly compatible species won't hinder breeding.

You might be better off separating the green singers from the others.

Here is a chart of species compatibility:
https://ladygouldianfinch.com/features_chart.php

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:12 am

sreno155 - I agree with paul-in AZ. Green singers definitely have a reputation for being aggressive (and it gets worse when breeding season rolls around). The same might be true for the parrot finches. The strawberries are usually very sweet and do their own thing. I had a pair in a 16 foot mixed outdoor aviary and they only kind of protected their actual nesting site from the other birds.
Iso

sreno155
Pip
Pip

Post by sreno155 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Thank You both for your help.