Companion for disabled finch?

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Companion for disabled finch?

Post by Uolym » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Hello!

I have been offered a disabled Masked Grassfinch from a petshop. I just have to pay a token for it, since the owner of the store can't sell it and wants the bird to have a better home then its small petshop cage.

The Masked grassfinch is missing a feet, but is otherwise healthy and has learned to perch again. My question is : finches usually fare badly when alone. Should I try adding the disabled bird to my one of my flightcages that I would adapt to its need or keep it in a smaller cage?

In the flightcage, it would have more companions but also competition. If it is in a small cage, should I select a companion for it? I have a single Gouldian or an elderly Society that could fit the bill. Or keep it alone?

Your thoughts?
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Companion for disabled finch?

Post by Sally » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Finches missing a foot can defnitely adapt. If she is able to perch now, she should be fine in a flight cage. I would recommend that she have at least one companion, if not more. You may have to do some experimenting to see which situation works best for her, but you probably will be surprised at how well she gets along. Many of us have had disabled birds in the past. As long as they aren't in with aggressive species, they do fine. Good luck with her!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Companion for disabled finch?

Post by Uolym » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Thank you very much! :)

I already have a disabled canary, but he's a grinch and its impossible to mix anything with him.

I have 1.1 Masked Grassfinch and 1.0.2 Societies in my quarantine flight. I'll introduce the new one to them and depending on how it goes, they might all get into my bigger flight! Ill monitor the situation closely.
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.