Cage size for mostly free roaming birds

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Cage size for mostly free roaming birds

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:02 am

So, I've been considering welcoming another bird into the family, and the only thing stopping me really is the fact that I don't know if I have a large enough cage.

I currently have a pair of zebra finches, and I house them in a cage that's about 65cm tall, 60 cm long and 45cm wide. From what I've read, this is the right size for a single pair of finches, but they don't really spend their whole day inside it. I let them out of the cage at around 8am or 12am, and they're in and out until 10pm most days aside from every second weekend. I'm not sure if the size is based on what size cage it should be for birds who stay in their cage most their life, and it might aswell be based on that considering how many people either don't have the conditions or don't trust themselves to let their birds roam free in the house.

I would love to hear what you have to say about this.

It is important to mention that they have perches and swings outside and on top of their cage aswell, so they don't just hang out on random furniture.
I have two zebra finches; Mouschi, and his girlfriend, Kim.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Cage size for mostly free roaming birds

Post by Fraza » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 pm

If you have one pair of zebras my advise would be don’t add another, it doesn’t matter on the size they will bully it, the only bird I would add was if it was a canary as they wouldn’t try to bully that
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Fraza wrote: If you have one pair of zebras my advise would be don’t add another, it doesn’t matter on the size they will bully it, the only bird I would add was if it was a canary as they wouldn’t try to bully that
Are you sure? From what I've observed, canaries are especially calm, it seems like one would be an easy target. That's why I crossed canaries off my option list. But if I'm wrong, then that'd make things much easier to be honest.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:29 pm

OliwiaMoriarti from my experience because they are larger they won’t do but if you’ve had more advice against it then go with that

@haroun what would you say ur the zebra expert
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Just as a little update: I decided to buy an 80cm x 80cm cage for my zebbies and will hopefully introduce the new birds at around the same time they move in to their big cage together.
I happened to stumble upon a person selling a barely used cage for half the original price in my area, so that was a lucky coincidence.