I'm new to keeping birds

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Micky
Pip
Pip

I'm new to keeping birds

Post by Micky » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 am

Hi everyone,as I have never kept birds before I need lots of advice for everything to go well.I live in Scotland and as most people know the weather can be very changeable.I am about to build an outdoor avairy and the dimensions will be 3metersx2metersx2meters high.I have been advised that Zebra Finches would be my best choice but what do you think,how mant birds can I have in my avairy and can I mix them with say canaries or budgies,will they all eat the same food,do I need nest boxes or just perches in the indoor house,I am very keen to get some answers to my questions and get started so thanks for looking.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Re: I'm new to keeping birds

Post by MariusStegmann » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:09 am

Hi Micky. In an aviary that size, you can keep up to 12 pairs. You can't keep budgies with finches. I tried that when I was a youngster and the budgies chucked out all zebra babies out of their nests. The babies were also so badly bitten that they died. You can keep canaries with the zebras. They also eat the same food as zebras. Budgies eat a mix that is a bit too hard for finches. Finches thrive on a mix of white millet, red panicum, jap millet, and canary seed. You can also add small amounts of niger, linseed, canola / rapeseed. Zebras will nest in any container. Budgie nestboxes will work well. Canaries uses a cup nest. Are you going to cover up the aviary when the rain and snow comes?
Marius

Micky
Pip
Pip

Post by Micky » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Marius,thanks for the reply and the advice and to answere your question,the outdoors area will be covered over as it rains constantly here and they will also have a fair sized indoor area.Im also thinking that if they all start laying I could be overrun with chicks so could this be a problem or would I just remove some of the eggs and keep the numbers down.Would this amount of birds be noisy as I have to get most things right so not to annoy neighbours,do I need nest boxes for every pair I have.cheers.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:55 pm

You are unlikely to get noise complaints with canaries or finches.
Zebras make noise nonstop but it shouldn't be loud enough to upset neighbors.

Budgies and many of the other hook bills are another story. I met a fellow who had been a breeder of exhibition quality English budgies in an outdoor aviary. He had to quit keeping them altogether because of neighbor complaints about the birds' noisy chattering.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi Mikey,

Here are some things you might want to consider when you draw up your plans for a large outdoor aviary:

- An eastern exposure is best for my birds (morning sun, afternoon shade)
The over all "look" of my aviary had to blend with the landscape here and not stand out like a big box; so exterior landscape was also a consideration.
- Consider your utilities in your design before you start building: water, power, lighting and drainage are all important features and difficult to add later.
- I found a small, used bar sink placed in a corner of the aviary with a little Formica counter top is very useful for cleaning all the equipment - particularly in breeding season.
- A properly drained concrete floor makes for easy periodic clean up.
- For a fast wash down, I keep a hose with an adjustable spray nozzle at the ready on a roll up reel inside the aviary near the sink. Plumbing was all done with 1/2" PVC pipe beforehand.
- Floor and side walls and roof were constructed in a way that absolutely excludes predictors. Rodents are drawn to bird seed and small captive birds.
- 1/2 " welded wire buried 12" into the ground or into a concrete foundation worked well for me.
- I painted all my wire flat black for easier bird visibility and most all wood surfaces in a high gloss, easy clean, brush or roll on white enamel. -The back walls are redwood with a natural wood stain.
- I would make sure you create several observation areas for yourself and your guests. I can observe my feeders and treat trays close up from the dining room window. Might sound a little goofy but for really close up viewing, I have a pair of butterfly binoculars I use that really show the amazing feather detail and fascinating courtship and baby feeding behaviors.
- water devices here are auto-refill but must be hosed out every few days.
- All drains lead to the garden so the bird space dries out quickly.
- Back wall and possibly side walls should be solid to protect from wind.
- My roof is a tinted plastic corrugated material, installed to protect from direct summer sunlight, wind and rain and yet allow for light to come in.
- I have an overhead LED lighting system on a dimmer switch but I rarely disturb my aviary birds at night.
- my birds have access to a large bird bath, live plants and direct sunlight in an adjoining annex I call "the garden flight" (a separate project in itself from the main aviary construction). I can close this full sunlight area off in bad weather or for cleaning.
- Roll up canvas sides might be necessary to protect from wind, cold and rain.
- A double entry side-door is nice but not necessary in a walk-in. In addition to a solid, self closing glass door, I use a plastic mesh fine screen material with magnets attached to the center walk through opening. A kit is prob available on-line and cost is around $30. US here.
- A safe, draft free night roosting area at the highest point will be appreciated by your birds. Mine is made of some manzanita tree branches with some artificial ficus added for kind of a natural look. I also use quite a few private "sleep stations' positioned over the floor, not over feeders, water etc.
- same positioning with whatever perch system you use.
- plenty of nest boxes should be available and easy for you to reach.
- a space for a few selective breeding cages might be good to have near the sink area (they can also double for hospital cages if needed.
- For heat in that important space, I use a heat lamp with a dimmer switch to control the temp to around 100F. I also use this as a brooder for the button quail babies.
- In my weather conditions I found that outdoor raised birds don't need any other artificial heaters or air coolers. I have both but never use either one.
- My aviary has a few very useful work benches hinged to the solid wall part - easy fold up and down.
- Various seed types are stored in 3 water tight 20 lb plastic boxes in a cupboard inside the Aviary. Food is purchased in bulk and stored outside in 3 tightly covered trash cans.
- An elevated planter box is great for fresh growing greens but make it easy on yourself. Mine is 3' off the ground with some drip emitters/sprinklers installed.
- A green grass feeder on the floor also works well for me. I replant it with growing sod every few months.
- A fresh veggie tray and a 5' long treat tray for an egg food mix is positioned by an observation window.
- Birds can be messy feeders. I use a triple wild bird feeder w/ 3 kinds of food. It holds 12 lbs (total) when full and has 12 individual feeding stations. It sits on a huge paper covered aluminum landing platform so they can recycle the food they pull out of the feeder before it hits the floor.
-Button quail are hungry floor birds with the run of the entire place so not much food goes to waste.

All this was constructed over time in a way that maximizes personal interaction with my amazing bird species and minimizes aviary maintenance time. I can send pics of any of the above features if requested.

I'm sure you will enjoy your very fun construction project and all the wonderful birds you will be caring for there. Send some progress pics if you can.

Best
Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Micky
Pip
Pip

Post by Micky » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks to Paul and Marius,I am exited about this project and i will take time to get it right,I will consider all advice given and am trying to source local breeders and keepers to pick their brains.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:15 am

It is only a pleasure Micky. Plan rather longer and get it right. I wish that I have a safe entry in front of every aviary door, because I lost quite a few birds, that flew away. It is good to hear that someone in Scotland wants to build an outdoor aviary. Where I stay in Cape Town, South Africa, we have 3 months when we experience cold and rain. The rest of the year it is great weather for bird keeping. During winter I close the sides of the aviary on the weather side, but still keep the east side totally open.
Marius