Lighting

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Lighting

Post by Sally H » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:07 pm

I'm building a indoor flight cage. 6' x 3' x 3' with a roof that is another 14" higher than the top cage. That is where I plan to install a 2' long two-bulb flourescent shop light and use full spectrum lighting.

I was looking at a bunch of different finch sites looking for this great table that compared most common brand names with their CRI ratings and prices (no luck finding it, tho) and was surprised at the differences of opinions about lighting.

I am most concerned about the distance. My bulbs will be 14" above the top of the cage and then the first perches will be at least 5 to 6" from that. So do you think that 20" is enough space between bulb and bird? Some places show a small light fixture sitting on top of a cage saying to make it so its within 6" of birds. This other guy is saying no less than 2 feet from the top of the cage.

What I have now is a 'bird bulb' specifically marketed for birds but its an incandescent one and this article I'm looking for says there's no way that can be as beneficial as a flourescent one. Anybody know which article I'm talking about? Know which site it's on?

I'm curious what the sexes of my 4 fledges are. They say that color in the band of light can influence the sex of the eggs. This bird light they have was a good 4 feet from the cage until they were moved to the bedroom for warmth and privacy where the bulb is in a floor lamp only 2 feet from the cage. The bulb looks purplish and thats the color to produce more females...lets see what I get.

Edit: I found it and they say 1 to 1 1/2' is optimal distance from the top of the cage and I am within that tolerance. Pretty good read imho...

http://www.users.mis.net/%7Epthrush/lighting/ncsj1.html

bkwgator
Pip
Pip

Post by bkwgator » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi Sally,

Your distance should be fine for the lights. The main thing to keep in mind is to provide your birds with a choice of how close to be to any lights. Sometimes they may prefer to sit right under it, or they may perch further away. As long as you have some selection for perch locations your birds will be happy. Just make sure the lights are full spectrum. My wife and I looked all over for info on the type of full-spectrum lights that we needed and never really found the definitive answer. As long as the bulb provides UVB, you should be ok. The fluorescent type doesn't give off much heat and provides plenty of light.

For Incandescent bulbs you need to be a little careful in your placement/selection. These also come in full spectrum types (check the pet store). If you use them, use 60-75 W bulbs in a ceramic socket (also in pet stores). These you need to be even more carefull about placement because they do give off heat and birds need to be able to get away from it if they get too hot. Ours is right on top of one of our cages and the birds can get to about 6" away at the closest. Sometimes, we see them huddled together directly under the light, other times they sit well away from it.

Hope this helps,
Bkwgator

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:16 pm

It did, thanks! We found GE Sunshine 20 bulbs. CRI is only 90 but they were cheap. $6.00 a piece.

We got the wire yesterday, too. We had to go with a 50' roll straight from the manufacturer, 16guage 1/2" x 1" black pvc coated wire. $150.00 plus $38.00 tax and shipping (it was a Florida company so taxed) it got here in 3 days.

Project is progessing slowly but surely.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:27 pm

!

Where ever did you find black PVC coated wire in Florida? I'd love to know.

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:22 pm

WA Davidson in Jacksonville. The smallest roll was 50' so we'll have about 1/2 leftover if we don't mess up a panel or two :)

Heres a link:
http://www.wadavidson.com/index2.php?grp=13

I called them and placed the order over the phone on Thursday and it was on my doorstep Monday.