Rope Swings

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Rope Swings

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:01 pm

I have noticed alot of people talking about buying rope swings. I don't mean to be a downer but I thought it might be helpful to post some personal experiences.
These ropes are constructed of many strings twisted to make a rope.
I had a rope perch in my canary cage. The canary had gotten some of the strings loose and his leg became entangled. I came home to find a beaten and dead bird.
I went to work at the pet store and told my boss what had happened and I recommended that we take the rope swings and perches out of the display cages. The boss decided not to with the justifiable argument that it was good to have soft perches for the bird's feet. I must say that I came into work on many mornings to find the bird swings had maimed and claimed many lives. From simple toenail loss to the most horrific blood scenes. The boss allowed me to remove and trash the ropes after too many such incidences.
I have never been able to look at those products and not shutter.
What I have used instead of string rope, to provide a soft foot perch is plastic rope. The type used for clotheslines. Also in aviaries I have strong plastic coated cables. These come in varying thicknesses.
Again, I don't mean to be a downer or criticize what others choose to use...as many never have losses with these ropes. But I felt I must say something as I would hate any bird to be harmed from lack of knowleedge.
Last edited by CandoAviary on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Re: Rope Swings

Post by Ursula » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:16 pm

I appreciate any feedback and personal experience and don't see that as "doom and gloom" at all!! Be happy JohnBoy if you don't have had any accidents with your birds. We all makes mistakes and I think it's always admirable how forum members admit them and spare others the same bad experiences.

I only use a rope swing in my parrotlet cage but they mostly ignore it. They much prefer the wooden perches and swings and natural branches.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:25 pm

JohnBoy wrote:Another doom and gloom thread. I have never seen so many fear inducing threads on any forum in my life as I see on this one.
Candice,
Well the whole point of posting it here is to stop it from happening to someone else who is not aware of the possible danger. I don't call that fear mongering.

I agree, it takes courage to post it, when things go wrong with your birds, even if through no fault of your own, since others might see it differently, but you still post the bad stuff to hopefully prevent that tragedy from happening to someone else.

I see those perches for sale in a lot of stores. And many folks use them on this forum. But I think it's a good thing that you let everyone know of what did happen in your case, so they can make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to use one.

So sorry to hear about your bird. :cry:
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks Franny and Ursula,
It was many years ago that that happened. It was my first bird death. The rope perches were the rave back then. I also don't use twist ties..... but I won't go into that one :wink:
This forum is full of people with strong opinions. It bothers me none if someone has opposing feelings to mine. We are all entitled to our opinions... and as JohnBoy states....
"People are the Ultimate Spectacles :!: " :lol:

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:38 pm

Yes, those strong opinions are just proof to me that folks on here care very much for their birds! :lol:
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Well I am not going to take offense to this even though I know it is me your talking about...... 8)

Yes, I use rope swings and will continue to do so.

I have educated myself in the type I bought and talked with the person I bought them from at length. The ones that I have purchased are very tightly woven and appear to be very safe.

I have had them for a while now and will be replacing them soon for newer ones. My birds love them and so do I. :lol:

Fortunately I have never had a death in my aviary nor injury due to any type of accident. (knock on wood) Their safety is of the unmost importance to me. :lol:
Donna

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:49 pm

I think like with anything you need to watch and take precaution like making sure nails are trim, threads are snipped if they start to fray. Finches can get caught up in several things including nesting material and bamboo nests also. We all need to do what works best for us.

I used the sisal rope with my Gray and my lovebird has the rope comfy perch, he doesn't bother with it much since it is on the outside of the cage and I hang toys from it, he is to busy climbing all over me. He is never out without me.

Here is another suggesting for something to perch on:

One of the toys that my parrotlets loved is thick plastic slinkies. You attach them to the top and stretch it down to make a spiral stairway. You can also use the yellow plastic coil of tubing (WalMart has it in hardware) that they use with nail guns and pressure washers. Just remove the metal ends, wash it and if need be scuff it up a little with sandpaper so it is not slipperyand stretch it downward or across the cage, they loved climbing through and over it.

I imagine finches can use this, I have never tried it with them.
Attachments
coil.jpg
coil.jpg (24.17 KiB) Viewed 2889 times

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Goodness Donna,
I am not talking about you. Several people have commented about your birds liking your swing and wanting to get some. I felt I had to at least share what happened to me. As you say many times that people have to choose what works best for them. And then do it. I couldn't agree more. I was talking about what happened to me.
I would never even entertain the thought that you didn't give your best to your birds.
Sorry my experience and the sharing of it has upset yet another.
I am glad your birds have not met a fate like my poor beloved canary.

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:03 pm

ahhh Candace... no offense taken here!!! :lol: :lol:
Donna

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Cindy,
I like this idea with the slinkies. I take those natural wreath vines and uncurl them and make swings and spiral perches. They bounce and look too cool.
My canary that got hung was in a single caged (albeit big cage) songbird pet. He was finger tamed and ate from my plate. He did not have long nails as he was one of only 4 birds that I owned. Spoiled with manicures and everything.
I think he nibbled and got some strings loose and then just had a hayday unraveling the thing. I was at work and so the whole thing happened in one day. Accidents do happen. Choose products with care. :D

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:15 pm

I have made swings and little tunnels out of the slinkies (no metal ones they are to sharp) I made a slinky hanging basket for Louey, he likes to sleep in it.

I haven't used them in the finch cages since there are plenty of plants and a few have swings, I might try this in a baby flight.

Finches can get caught up in all kinds of things but if people are careful I am sure the rope swing is fine, it is when it starts to come apart it becomes a problem.

Donna sounds as if she is very watchful and very careful with her finches, they seem to really enjoy the swing. If I was a finch I would want to join them!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

~ My Facebook groups ~

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:20 pm

I realize these things happen. I am sure they are isolated incidences and are rare. Plastic rope can pose the same danger that hemp rope poses. Plastic (nylon) rope also unravels. I have been breeding finches since the 1970's and I had one bird in all those years get his foot caught in a wicker nest and died. It never happened again. I still use wicker nest. The people on this forum who use rope swings are comfortable using them and have had great success with them. All I am saying is why make these people feel guilty or bad or that they don't care for their birds for something that works for them just because you don't like it. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. Everybody on this forum loves their birds and would never intentionally put their birds in harms way. Everything we put in a cage can be a potential danger to a bird. Even the cage itself, & even something as necessary as a seed dish. But thats another story.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Slinky? :shock:

It walks down stairs, alone or in pairs and makes a slinkity sound. A spring a spiring a marvelous thing. Everyone knows it's sliky. It's Slinky It's Slinky for fun it's a wonderful toy.It's Slinky It's Slinky. It's fun for a finch or a boy. :lol:
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:46 pm

JohnBoy is right, I lost a spice finch, my favorite male to a wicker nest basket. I came home from work and was devastated. I wanted him to be ok but he died.

I lost my male Gold Breast from flying into the cage bars.

All any of us can do is the best we can do for our birds, find what works and suits the birds' needs, our needs and go with it.

I am just going to say this and it should not be taken wrong or is pointed at anyone in particular so do not take offense, & I know I have said it before but here it goes.

When you put "pen to paper" so to speak and express your opinion it is out there, so be careful with your wording. You may be bold and speak your mind but there are others that are not and may take offense. This is a forum but sometimes it is better to proof your words, bite your tongue and not say as much as you think you should say. Sometimes saying very little means more than saying to much...hope that makes sense. (here is a prime example of knowing what I want to say but trying to get it right on "paper" is another thing)

Personally I know more than I tend to say, I've been doing this a long time. Sometimes I see things on here that others post that can be taken as if they think someone is stupid or wrong, you know one of those "oh my what were you thinking" moments, sometimes it is harsh what is said.

I usually read an issue/problem/post and take a few moments to respond or not respond at all. Like I said it is better to say little or nothing at all.

You know there is no great science or manual on taking care of these little creatures, we are all finding our ways no matter how long you have been doing this.
Last edited by cindy on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~ My Facebook groups ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:50 pm

JohnBoy wrote:Slinky? :shock:

It walks down stairs, alone or in pairs and makes a slinkity sound. A spring a spiring a marvelous thing. Everyone knows it's sliky. It's Slinky It's Slinky for fun it's a wonderful toy.It's Slinky It's Slinky. It's fun for a finch or a boy. :lol:
CRAZY!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup...my parrotlets loved them, they would hang off of them...do not use the metal one....gotta be plastic and brightly colored!!!!!!! They would run across them really fast, it was so funny to watch!!!

~ My Facebook groups ~