Rope Swings

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: Rope Swings

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 pm

JohnBoy,
I agree that many thing pose the risk of accidents. Birds in the wild fall victum to things also.
But for the life of me I do not see how you could take from my story how I was trying to make someone feel guilty about using a rope swing... Or where I said anything close to people not caring for their birds... You must be reading a lot between the lines with negative reading glasses on. :lol: Or you have a personal problem with me. You think :?:
I started a seperate post instead of commenting on Donna's post where people were talking about swings in hopes of no one thinking that I was referring to Donna. (I have learned there are people that assume just too much here on this forum) Actually, in all honesty, the rope swing talk simply reminded me of the incidences of MY past and thought they may be helpful to some... of course I did not think helpful for all. It had nothing to do with Donna :? Or condemnation :? So let me go on the record here for Donna, JohnBoy, and Cindy that I think Donna is one of the best finch keepers I know :D Ya'll happy now :D
JohnBoy, There was no doom and gloom here until you brought it up. And no, I am not trying to upset you...and no, you do not upset me....
I just think all this crap is just a waste of my time and other members that would like to share stuff. So I am done with this post and moving on to greener pastures :D Won't you join me :D

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:59 pm

I like the Slinky idea! I have to try this with my parrotlets. They don't play much with their toys though, they rather groom each other or just hang out and watch the finches and budgies outside their cage. My first parrotlet loved one of his toys with bells very much though. So much that I put it in his casket (i.e. tin can) before I buried him in the backyard. (Maybe he rest in peace beyond the rainbow bridge! :-()

I DID have accidents in my aviary. I had 2 freak accidents with the nets in front of the windows. I originally used fruit netting and had a new budgie getting caught in it. Unfortunately we didn't find him in time and he died. We then replaced the fruit netting with "sports netting" (similar what you use as tennis nets) which is much sturdier and not as thin and flimsy. But even if this is much wider spaced and the rope it is made of is much thicker, we had a quail getting caught and it died. I still have the netting though because I think it's better than having blank windows and stupid birds flying into them and breaking their neck, especially when they get scared. I couldn't yet come up with a better idea as window protection.

I think the only way to protect birds from accidents is keeping them in tiny cages with straight perches and no accessories... :P Much like keeping kids from hurting themselves by not letting them play on the swingset and placing them in front of the TV. ;-)
Seriously, I am trying to make my aviary as safe as I can but also as much fun and stimulating for the birds as I can. And accidents can happen...

And please, all, keep the good advice coming!!! (Because that's how I see posts like this!)
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Ursula wrote:I like the Slinky idea! I have to try this with my parrotlets. They don't play much with their toys though, they rather groom each other or just hang out and watch the finches and budgies outside their cage. My first parrotlet loved one of his toys with bells very much though. So much that I put it in his casket (i.e. tin can) before I buried him in the backyard. (Maybe he rest in peace beyond the rainbow bridge! :-()

I DID have accidents in my aviary. I had 2 freak accidents with the nets in front of the windows. I originally used fruit netting and had a new budgie getting caught in it. Unfortunately we didn't find him in time and he died. We then replaced the fruit netting with "sports netting" (similar what you use as tennis nets) which is much sturdier and not as thin and flimsy. But even if this is much wider spaced and the rope it is made of is much thicker, we had a quail getting caught and it died. I still have the netting though because I think it's better than having blank windows and stupid birds flying into them and breaking their neck, especially when they get scared. I couldn't yet come up with a better idea as window protection.

I think the only way to protect birds from accidents is keeping them in tiny cages with straight perches and no accessories... :P Much like keeping kids from hurting themselves by not letting them play on the swingset and placing them in front of the TV. ;-)
Seriously, I am trying to make my aviary as safe as I can but also as much fun and stimulating for the birds as I can. And accidents can happen...

And please, all, keep the good advice coming!!! (Because that's how I see posts like this!)
They make cheap slinkies that are flat and can become brittle, the ones to look for look like this. I also included a basket made from one that the parrotlets and Louey love.You loop a small section of a slinkie through a bigger section, it make a little hanging basket.

When you use the slinky as a spiral so they can climb down or across it attach it to the cage by gathering a few rows and secure it to the cage with zip ties (turn and trim the ends of the zip tie off outside the cage)

You can also make it like a bouncy spiral by attaching it at the top of the cage and secure a toy like a cat ball through a it, it will be enough weight to hold it down but it will bounce!
Attachments
slinky basket.jpg
Last edited by cindy on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:56 pm

Ursula..an idea for your window covering...a window shade that you can pull down and secure. You can take stencils and make a pattern or design on it so the birds will clearly see it as an object.

If you need the sun to come through try using a thin lattice panel in front of the window. You can even attach perches and greens to it for them to sit on.

Just an idea!!!

~ My Facebook groups ~

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Good thread Candace - thanks for the warning!

Just a heads up, folks, that I've deleted several posts to this thread for being off topic. Please keep to the subject being discussed, and try not to take differing opinions personally. We WANT members to post their different experiences, and let's keep debates constructive! If you have a personal comment to make please use the instant message feature.
Hilary

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks Hilary,
It is unfortunate when any of us finch lovers have a bad experience. But we can learn by others experiences and be a little more informed about products that we buy. Many times I have had to learn some lessons the hard way because at the time I did not have others to share their trials, experience, successes with me. I think it is great in this modern web world that people can share all finch experiences, good and bad, with one another. I think it is also great that there are people who put together FIC/Forum and manage it and give their time so that we finchers have a place to share and learn. I believe it helps create a better informed group of birders in general. I know my eyes have been opened to some things from you who share that I have never experienced. Especially those giving advice on showing and selling at bird fairs as this is a venture I hope to embark on. Also for all the genetic guidance. Also for the people introducing new species and new husbandry practices to me. I value the sharing of others experiences... gives me more info to be successful myself. Thanks... and you know who you are :D

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:11 pm

cindy wrote:Ursula..an idea for your window covering...a window shade that you can pull down and secure. You can take stencils and make a pattern or design on it so the birds will clearly see it as an object.

If you need the sun to come through try using a thin lattice panel in front of the window. You can even attach perches and greens to it for them to sit on.

Just an idea!!!
Thanks for the ideas, Cindy!!

I don't really like the shades idea because I like the light and sun to come in, and the birds love the sunny spots. But the lattice panel is a real good one!!! I have to mull that over with my husband... I have 4 clumsy budgie youngsters right now and every time I see them climbing in the nets I'm scared they might hurt themselves.

Thanks again!!!
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Ursula, just a thought, can you attach the lattice to the frame of the window but make it so it can be removed just in case one of your little ones gets behind it?

The also make a plastic hardware cloth in different grid sizes, I think either HomeDepot or Lowe's carries it. I believe it is thick like the galvanized but plastic which I think is great...Washable!!!

~ My Facebook groups ~

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks, Cindy!

The only problem with plastic hardware cloth is that it's probably not going to look very pretty. And 3 walls of my aviary are pretty much windows so it's not just covering a small portion of it...

Yes, the latticework would have to be removable. If only for the reason that I can clean the windows...

Thanks all, I will definitely look into all these options!

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Keep us posted and when you find something that works, let us know.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Hanlou
Pip
Pip

Post by Hanlou » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 pm

Would you mind linking to or posting a pic of a rope swing that you would consider to be unsafe? I'm not sure which kind you mean and I'd like to know for my own benefit, if that's ok! :D x

((( This Website ))) is my all-time favourite toy site for birds! (oh and it's great for my mice too - they love rope toys! :wink: )

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Here isw a pic of the rope swing that I have in both of my aviaries, however, I am not sure if this is the model that we are debating here.
Attachments
about to fledge oct 29th 010.jpg
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Yep that's a rope swing. I have those in my parrot cages - you need to keep an eye on them and trim all loose threads to keep them safe.
Liz

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Janine,
That is one beautiful chick :D
If the finches get to picking at the strings and getting them loose take the time to inspect the product to make sure that a finch cannot become entangled. The bird I had was a canary and chewed through the strings in one afternoon.... may would take a fich longer if so inclined.

Liz,
My orange winged amazon would shred these rope swings in a heartbeat but had an umbrella cockatoo at the pet store that never nibbled on them at all. I guess it just all depends on the birds and how destuctive they are.

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Thanks Candace. :D That's my beautiful Precious, baby boy blue.. =D>

I did just go to check on the swing, and for the time being they seem to only be tugging on the knot area which they use as a tug toy. It seems to keep them busy. I will keep an eye on it, and I guess maybe change it for something else is they end up loosening the threads.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet