Poohbear going for it...

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Poohbear going for it...

Post by Sally » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear this, Paul. I hate it when you lose them between fledging and weaning. Well, I hate it any time, but at this stage, you're so close to success.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear it, Paul. :( Maybe the bicheno's are more sensitive than the others?
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 am

CandoAviary wrote:That is good stuff, I used it one year but the problem I had was during the day The Sunny Florida sun would shine and it was like a greenhouse.... the temp could reach 100 :shock:
I would have to go prop the door open and then get it closed before I lost all the free solar heat escaped at dusk. If I was forgetful, which is happening more and more tall the time .... then they were in for a big drop in temps very quickly. I had the goldbreast, canaries and zebras out there so they all took it well. I thought abought installing a temp control window (like in the green house) that opens automatically once the temp reaches the desired set temp. Just haven't got around to doing it yet.
I switched to a heavy weight plastic. It is like a light shadey day in the aviary but it still gets too hot. Also the petroleum smell with the heavy weight plastic is not pleasant when newly put up. Have you noticed any smell with this brand from the inside of the aviary? What is the brand name, I may try it.
Unlike Florida...when Autumn comes here that's it...very very rare do we get a warm day now for the next 5/6 months.Winds from the Atlantic and Scandinavia are very cold overnight.
I've pinned the sheeting over the mesh...it would be better and prettier if I made frames up and covered them...this stuff doesn't like corners.But needs must and at least the biting winds are now kept at bay.I shall make up some removable frames for next year and do a proper job instead of the rush job I've done this year.
There is no smell from this stuff and I have no idea the original purpose of the material.I went in this morning...very cold wind outside...but quite pleasant indoors...this will make a big difference.

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:10 am

I use a real heavy duty type vinyl clear that I got from a fabric store called Jo-Ann's it works great have used for a couple of years and not to expensive
Bill

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:37 am

Great solution! The birds should stay nice and cozy all winter. Do you have the ability to add a small heater if needed?
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:23 pm

I have a 2x2 panel heater in the indoor section Sally...set to turn on when the temperature drops to 50f.It won't exactly heat the place up to house temperatures but will be comfortable enough for the birds.

Dunno about over there but energy costs here are ridiculous.

Diesel here is $8.5 a gallon
:(

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:44 pm

Looks warm and I like the fact that it is clear. Bill, also like your idea, I will check out Joannes :)

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:27 pm

CandoAviary wrote:I switched to a heavy weight plastic. It is like a light shadey day in the aviary but it still gets too hot. Also the petroleum smell with the heavy weight plastic is not pleasant when newly put up. Have you noticed any smell with this brand from the inside of the aviary? What is the brand name, I may try it.
Pooh, I may be wrong, but this looks like Mylar, to me. Candace, here's a site that sells it by the roll - also used by Architects for overlay drawings, etc.
http://www.takachpress.com/servlet/the- ... 150/Detail

And believe it or not, you can buy mylar that is frosted/rough on one side, used for drawing on - popular with coloured pencil artists. :D
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

FinchshedUK
Pip
Pip

Post by FinchshedUK » Wed May 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Anyone seen this member 'pooh bear' or still in contact with him?

Cheers

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:32 pm

FinchshedUK wrote: Anyone seen this member 'pooh bear' or still in contact with him?

Cheers
They seek him here they seek him there.... :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:15 pm

poohbear wrote:
FinchshedUK wrote: Anyone seen this member 'pooh bear' or still in contact with him?

Cheers
They seek him here they seek him there.... :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: