Poohbear going for it...

For questions about finch enclosures (cages & aviaries).
poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Poohbear going for it...

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Well...snow or no snow I got the lads here today with the new set up.....Jeeeeez it's long. :D
Got to landscape the surround,it's just a mud bath at the mo.
The shed is 28 foot long....half enclosed shed and half open fronted aviary.
I was going to have an exposed aviary but this area is infested with cats.So I went for solid roof, floor, and back the rest will be wired.
Shame the birds can't bath in the rain but at least rodents and pests will be kept at bay.I shall grow plants in pots.And shall make a water feature in the wired section.
I have to insulate the shed section for future winters...letting birds into the aviary section through a flap on warmer days.I may make shutters to cover the wire for future winters.
When I've made the opening flap in the central divider the birds will have a full 28 foot flight...magic!!! Door on the outside of aviary for maintenance,but I shall use the inside door most of the time...no escapes that way.

Lots to do Lots to do....

View through kitchen window above, not too close to block the light but not too distant where the birds can't be seen from the house...

Last edited by poohbear on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Re: Poohbear going for it...

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Looks like the birds will be rocking and rolling in there shortly! You even have enough room out back for a moose! :P
Liz

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:24 pm

That is a fabulous design. I have been looking at different aviary/buildings for my future birdhouse. I love this design.
That is awesome that you will be able to let them fly the full 28"..... those birds will think they are free.
So glad to see that you will again be enjoying your hobby soon...... Now to see those fine gouldians I hear you can breed :D

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:46 pm

CandoAviary wrote: Now to see those fine gouldians I hear you can breed :D

poohbear is the KING of gouldians!!! :lol:

Congratulations and I LOVE the fact that your birds will have so much space to fly. Lucky, lucky birds!!!!

I wish you were closer. I would give you some for sure to get started. I love it when I can place mine in such wonderful homes.
Donna

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:19 pm

A King without any subjects I might add... :? Thanks anyway.Not easy starting from scratch again.
This time though I'm more interested in keeping a mixed collection.There's plenty of room in this set up.I'm getting on a bit and the keeping of birds in many cages is very time consuming.Keeping a mixed collection still takes time but not as much as individual food changing and cleaning out.
It's just a shame that over here the climate restricts the type of aviary that can be built..unfortunately the birds have to be protected from the weather for several months of the year.
I have successfully raised many birds in groups before, and with the space I have here I'm hoping to raise many more.I'll just keep a couple of small flights seperate in case any problems arise.

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:25 pm

I love a mixed aviary. This is what I have.......
I think all the ways of keeping an aviary has it's ups and downs. The one thing I love the most is that each morning I fix ONE huge tray of food (veggies, greens, soaked seeds, cucumber , egg food etc...) and that's it.

I do have a cage at the moment with a few gouldians hens in it. But when we finish our addition they get their freedom agian.

I have noticed one thing that is strange. I let two of the hens out this weekend and they acted awful. They were very agressive and would not let anyone perch near them. They started chasing everyone else. So back in the cage they went for the time being.
Donna

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Territorial behaviour of some kind.....Yeah ONE big food dish is a nice thought. :D

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:25 pm

Very happy for you its taken a while to get back to getting birds.The shed looks fantastic with lots of room well done :mrgreen: =D> =D>
Bill

FinchDegg
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by FinchDegg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Mate that looks awesome !! 28 feet of free flight for finches must be a joy to watch in its own right :) :) ...

did they get that up in 1 day ? with clearing snow as well ??
Last edited by FinchDegg on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Crystal White Zebs,2 Fawn Zebs,1 Pied Zeb, 2 Societies,1 Shafttail, 6 Zeb Eggs Incubating

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Cheers Bill.

Yes FD they put it up in 3 hours...

And Liz....if a moose turns up I'll know who left it.
Last edited by poohbear on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinchDegg
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by FinchDegg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 pm

dfcauley wrote: I have noticed one thing that is strange. I let two of the hens out this weekend and they acted awful. They were very agressive and would not let anyone perch near them. They started chasing everyone else. So back in the cage they went for the time being.
Institutionalised Birds ?? British Government would have you think so lol lol :)
2 Crystal White Zebs,2 Fawn Zebs,1 Pied Zeb, 2 Societies,1 Shafttail, 6 Zeb Eggs Incubating

FinchDegg
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by FinchDegg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:40 pm

3 hrs ? thats some going ... from the pics i can see what the next bulk of your free time is going to be doing lol, nothin like settin up an aviary, time just seems to disappear, nothin quite like the scale of yours but for a novice i'm happy :) ...

Are you still insulating with rock wool ?

Congrats, be up and running in no time :) :)

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:43 pm

I hate having to set it up again...I did all this just 3 years ago before my house move mucked it up...don't mind the mesh fixing but I hate insulating and painting interior...Want to get on with putting birds in. :D

FinchDegg
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by FinchDegg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Probably cause this is me first time lol ... i dont mind it so much :D :D

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Wonderful news Poooh, from what I have seen you raise some beautiful birds. :D
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet