Cando's mineral mix

Learn what to feed your birds.
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Cando's mineral mix

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 pm

I made up a bunch of fresh mineral suppliment today to dish out to all the birds and thought I'd share my recipe.....

First I start with my indestructable grinder and ingredients.
And some baked egg shells that I recycle from my breakfast and all the boiled eggs I feed the birds.
grind for 10 seconds
Start Mix
Poor in ABBA mineral grit
grind smaller...10 seconds
Add to mix
Add charcoal to mix.... if it was coarse I would grind to fine size
Add sea salt and minerals
Add mineral powder (morning bird)to the mix
Recycle broken cuttle bones
Grind to a coarse powder...10 seconds
Add to mix
I added hatch brand eggshells because I didn't have enough of my own
Stirred
And served.... I think they liked =D>

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Re: Cando's mineral mix

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Looks yummy to me too! Nicely done! =D>
Liz

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:02 am

What kind of grinder is that Candace - I can't tell from the picture.
I've been using my normal food chopper but sure my husband would like it back :wink: Yours seems to have no problem grinding!

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 am

It's the Ultimate chopper. 750 watts... as strong as many of the large food processors. I have had this one for years and it has held up well...even though I grind oyster shells in it :shock:
http://www.ultimatechopper.com/
I bought it to make homemade peanut butter..and pistachio butter in.... but now is used exclusively for the birds :D
Last edited by CandoAviary on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:42 am

I do basically the same thing but don't include the egg shells. The birds love it!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks for the recipe Candace, I actually have all of that on hand. =D> One bowl will be a lot less work than 6 :D
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:03 pm

lovemyfinch wrote:Thanks for the recipe Candace, I actually have all of that on hand. =D> One bowl will be a lot less work than 6 :D
That's why I do it...a lot less work :D
Plus you can also tweek the recipe to include diatomaceous dirt for a natural wormer, include a powdered vitamin suppliment, or whatever else your birds may need.

:idea: One note I would like to make is to always have a calcium mix without charcoal because if you are having to medicate your birds the charcoal could make the medications ineffetive.... mush like removing charcoal from a fish tank while medicating, the charcoal absords the meds.

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:07 pm

Utterly cool and helpful.

Candace, please put in book KEEPING BIRDS CANDACE'S WAY.

I will have to find some of the ingredients but this is exactly the sort of thing I want to know about being a real newbie with the finches.

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! =D> =D>
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:12 pm

This is so nice of you to post step by step photos of your method. I am printing this out and adding it to my notebook. \:D/

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:01 pm

For those mixing your own mixes - Candace you might want to tell them how much you are using of what - especially something like the Sea Salt....

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 pm

MLaRue wrote:For those mixing your own mixes - Candace you might want to tell them how much you are using of what - especially something like the Sea Salt....

I never measure #-o I just blend by sight...that's why I added more eggshell at the end. Also the recipe is constantly tweeking depending on if I have breeding, growing, molting, or resting birds.

When it comes to salt I think it would depend on what other foods you are feeding. Many pellets and mixes have salt already in them, so read your bags to see. This ABBA mineral mix does contain some salt already...so it is advisable to know how much salt content is in those other products. (electrolytes also) The amount will vary with what people are feeding.
I have never seen a study on the needs of salt and finches, just some swear by it others warn against it.... so for me it's a guestament.... My birds do good with a little bit of salt and minerals. I like the mediterranean sea salt for them and for me. But too much salt is not a good thing for animall or human alike.
Just tell that to a cow at a salt lick will you :wink: I know the wild birds were drawn to the salt licks in the field at a brama cattle ranch I use to live on.... It sort of stuck in my head that birds like salt.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:08 pm

I do pretty much the same thing, except that I don't use sea salt, and I also add plain oyster shell that I buy at the feed store. It's usually sold there to feed to chickens, etc., and much cheaper than getting it in small boxes. The rest is the same--Abba mineral mix, eggshells, charcoal, M.B. trace mineral powder, cuttlebone. I used to buy eggshells from a website that sold dried mealworms, etc., for feeding bluebirds, but they stopped carrying the eggshells. When I make my eggfood, I grind up the eggs shell and all, so I need another source for inexpensive eggshells. I love the 'Hatched' eggshells, I use them to top off the mineral mix.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:36 pm

This is a good thought for others - Candace and Sally do you use any liquid calcium supplements in the water?

Roy uses "sea salt" too in his mix -

http://www.efinch.com/grit/grit.htm

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:35 am

I used to use a liquid calcium supplement on a regular basis, but I don't do that any more--I feel like supplements in the water are forced on the birds, where with the mineral mix, they pick and choose what they want. However, when they are breeding, I may add liquid calcium no more than once a week, especially to those that are laying a lot of eggs.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:14 pm

MLaRue wrote: Candace and Sally do you use any liquid calcium supplements in the water?
I sometimes use calciboost or calcium plus if I have an egg bound hen, applied directly to the beak. Though with the mineral grit that I mix, calcium rich greens, and good space for the birds to condition their muscles, I rarely have an eggbinding problem. Thank goodness [-o<