Sunflower Plants

Learn what to feed your birds.
finchfan

Sunflower Plants

Post by finchfan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi, I recently planted several sunflower seeds, now they are about 3 feet tall. All of a sudden the gold finches are eating the leaves. Every thing I have read indicates the finches eat mostly seeds, not plants. The have also eaten several tomato blossoms. Can you tell me why they are doing this. I am afraid the sunflower plant wont make it to maturity nor will I have any tomatoes to eat myself. Thank you.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Finches eat seeds, greens (plant leaves, new growths, and sprouts mostly), and insects. Some finches seem to prefer the greens/insects more than others. My captive finches eat the leaves of any live plants I place in their enclosure (which is why you should only provide your pet birds with nontoxic plants), and so the plants sometimes need to be replaced. If you are worried about your plants, maybe you can screen them in to prevent the birds from gaining access to them? Some people also create a loosely woven "canopy" of fishing line strands above areas they want to limit birds' access to. I'm not sure if either of these techniques is an option for you.

Hopefully other members of this forum will have other tips (I don't do much gardening myself, so I have never really had to worry about these kinds of issues).

Good luck!

Crystal