Not just for Chia pets anymore...

Learn what to feed your birds.
Mozelle
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Not just for Chia pets anymore...

Post by Mozelle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 am

My mom got me going on Chia seeds - yep those grainy little things that we used to plaster onto ceramic heads and wait with excitment for that "Hair" to grow! (Can you imagine how much money the've hauled in over the years with that simple gimmick?!!)
It's actually called "Salvia Hispanica". There are links all over the net for information, here's just one:
http://purehealingfoods.com/chiaFAQ.php

It's a powerhouse food - and has been used for centuries by indigenous populations. Funny how our world is finally making real use of knowledge that's ancient!

I'm going to start adding it to my birds egg food in small quantities, and monitor the effects. It's apparently a wonder-food for breeding, feathering up, basic health.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else out there is also using this - and what their stories are....
~ Tracy ~
3 lovely Societies - Crested and pied, and 1 lovely but lonely Gouldian hen... Looking for a mate!! :)

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Not just for Chia pets anymore...

Post by bugaboo5 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 am

I'm not sure about giving them as "seed" but I caught onto the chia seed movement last year and have been giving my birds the chia seed lightly sprouted on occasion. :)
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

can
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by can » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am

I've added small amounts of Chia seeds to my finches' seed mix, and well, in all honesty, I don't think they're eating them. Sometimes, in the morning, when the birds are hungry I'll do a test, I'll put the seeds I want to see if they are eating in my hand, and offer it to them. My orange-cheeked waxbill and female green singer will always come and eat out of my hand, however all that means is that my OCW and GS don't eat chia seeds.

Please, let me know if your birds eat them! But you may need to spout them first.
4 green singing finches, 2 society, 2 zebra, 1 owl and 4 wonderful cats

MAB1947
Pip
Pip

Post by MAB1947 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:12 am

Does anyone give sprouted Chia seeds with the gel attached? I've have a dish of green sprouts that I'm hoping they will eat, but I'm concerned about the safety of the gel.

Thanks!
Mary Ann