Charcoal & Trace Minerals

Learn what to feed your birds.
Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Charcoal & Trace Minerals

Post by Hilary » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Question. I keep little cups of charcoal and trace minerals in all of my cages (with dried kelp in cages with goulds). Some pick at it as I would expect, but others (specifically zebs, societies and nuns) eat it like candy. I don't put more than maybe a teaspoon of each in a cup at a time, but am replacing some of these at least twice a week. Should I trust them to eat what they need, or only refill once a week or so?

Thanks!

Hilary

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:39 pm

Some finches with health problems will overeat on grit/minerals/charcoal. For example, internal parasites that are preventing them from absorbing nutrients.

But, if your finches aren't losing weight or showing other signs of debilitation, they might just be piggish.

TammyS
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by TammyS » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi Hilary,

Some of my birds are the same way...especially over the Herb Salad - so I only offer it once per week. Since we don't know if some supplements/treats/etc can harm them if they consume to much of it - I would be on the cautious side and not offer it to them too often. I don't think twice per week is excessive - but I wouldn't offer it daily.