My food recipe

Learn what to feed your birds.
Rour
Mature
Mature

My food recipe

Post by Rour » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:04 pm

I would like to share my finch food recipe with you. Im a big believer in giving the birds everything natural, and really dont like adding supplements and additives to their food.

1- Egg mix:

i boil an omega 3 egg for ten minutes (boiling for ten, not total cooking time) and blend it all in the food processor. I add some wheatabix cereal or oatmeal to the mix, and some whole grain cooked couscous.

2- In a plastic bag, i grind sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, twelve grains, flax seeds. i sprinkle a nit of that over the egg mix.

3- i top all of that with a sprinkle of sprouted millet (two kinds).

For my greens i offer different mixes of:

1- finely chopped parsely
2- kale
3- dandelion
4- carrots
5- broccoli
6- celery leaves.
7- raddish leaves

I alternate these mixes.

Sometimes i will mash a tiny quantity of seedless fruit in with the greens, such as apple, kiwi, or blueberry.

Do they like it? The gouldians love it. The GBW are more picky but they eat it occasionally. The zebras, societies, and canaries wipe their boxes clean, leaving only the husks of the sprouted millet.

I also feed them a blend of budgie and finch mix, adding a small quantity of tiny pellets, finch treats, and dried egg/insect mix.

Additionally, they have a clean amount of grit, grated cuttle bone, charcoal, and oyster shell.
Two gouldians, two gold breast waxbills, two societies, four zebras, two canaries, one hamster, one freshwater fish tank, one salt water fish tank.

kheather
Brooding
Brooding

Re: My food recipe

Post by kheather » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 pm

thanks for sharing. I make my eggfood as well and add all kinds of things depending on their needs and likes at the time.
Heather finch and canary hobbyist
gouldians, canaries, zebras, societies, parrotlets, english budgie and a greencheek

Kamoodle
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Kamoodle » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:48 am

I will have to give that recipe a try. I hope they'll love it.

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:23 am

Rour wrote:I would like to share my finch food recipe with you. Im a big believer in giving the birds everything natural, and really dont like adding supplements and additives to their food.

1- Egg mix:

i boil an omega 3 egg for ten minutes (boiling for ten, not total cooking time) and blend it all in the food processor. I add some wheatabix cereal or oatmeal to the mix, and some whole grain cooked couscous.

2- In a plastic bag, i grind sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, twelve grains, flax seeds. i sprinkle a nit of that over the egg mix.

2- kale
3- dandelion
4- carrots
5- broccoli
6- celery leaves.
7- raddish leaves

I alternate these mixes.

Sometimes i will mash a tiny quantity of seedless fruit in with the greens, such as apple, kiwi, or blueberry.

Do they like it? The gouldians love it. The GBW are more picky but they eat it occasionally. The zebras, societies, and canaries wipe their boxes clean, leaving only the husks of the sprouted millet.

I also feed them a blend of budgie and finch mix, adding a small quantity of tiny pellets, finch treats, and dried egg/insect mix.

Additionally, they have a clean amount of grit, grated cuttle bone, charcoal, and oyster shell.
How long does it take to do this in general? Thanks
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:42 pm

My birds better not see that menu, or they will be jealous.

My egg is plain w corn meal to absorb some of the extra moisture

Veggies is whatever we get from the veggie guys at the store or we buy (lettuce, chard, kale, carrots, yams).

ps if you go to the grocery store EARLY and get the veggie guys as they are taking the veggies out, you can many time get the cuttings that they take off the veggies for FREE. They are just going to throw it away anyway. This will help cut the the cost of feeding the birds. If you want to give them specific veggies, you have to watch what you pick up, as you have to recognize what veggies you grab.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:09 pm

What a wonderful recipe idea....thank you for sharing that with us Rour. :D

ac12 wrote: ps if you go to the grocery store EARLY and get the veggie guys as they are taking the veggies out, you can many time get the cuttings that they take off the veggies for FREE.
AC12.....this part of your post should go in the "You Might Be A Finch Addict If:" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rour
Mature
Mature

Post by Rour » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:47 am

purplejasminevn wrote:
Rour wrote:I would like to share my finch food recipe with you. Im a big believer in giving the birds everything natural, and really dont like adding supplements and additives to their food.

1- Egg mix:

2- kale
3- dandelion
4- carrots
5- broccoli
6- celery leaves.
7- raddish leaves

I alternate these mixes.

How long does it take to do this in general? Thanks
well, i make enough for about five days or so. The seeds and egg take very little time to prepare. The veggies take a bit longer, as do the nuts and grains. I make enough veggies for about 5 days, and the nuts and grains last so i make enough for 2-3 weeks. :)
Two gouldians, two gold breast waxbills, two societies, four zebras, two canaries, one hamster, one freshwater fish tank, one salt water fish tank.

Rour
Mature
Mature

Post by Rour » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:48 am

FeatherHarp wrote:What a wonderful recipe idea....thank you for sharing that with us Rour. :D

ac12 wrote: ps if you go to the grocery store EARLY and get the veggie guys as they are taking the veggies out, you can many time get the cuttings that they take off the veggies for FREE.
AC12.....this part of your post should go in the "You Might Be A Finch Addict If:" :lol: :lol: :lol:
My pleasure :D

Rour
Mature
Mature

Post by Rour » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:52 am

ac12 wrote:My birds better not see that menu, or they will be jealous.

My egg is plain w corn meal to absorb some of the extra moisture

Veggies is whatever we get from the veggie guys at the store or we buy (lettuce, chard, kale, carrots, yams).

ps if you go to the grocery store EARLY and get the veggie guys as they are taking the veggies out, you can many time get the cuttings that they take off the veggies for FREE. They are just going to throw it away anyway. This will help cut the the cost of feeding the birds. If you want to give them specific veggies, you have to watch what you pick up, as you have to recognize what veggies you grab.
lol well i do suppose we have us a five star restaurant over here.

einrot5781
Pip
Pip

Post by einrot5781 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 am

Hii everyone,

I wanna ask, How To Make Your Own Customized Bird Seed Blend! ... This year, I have taken great interest in feeding the wild birds

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:55 am

Hi Rour!

Thanks for sharing!! :D