is Rape seed dangerous?

Post by jonvill » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:46 pm

Should we feed our birds rape seed?
Is it dangerous?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:39 pm

Rapeseed (canola) is a common ingredient in seed mixes. I don't know of any reason it would be dangerous. Why do you ask?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:22 pm

I read this on the finch info web site
http://www.finchinfo.com/health.htm
"Acorns, lettuce, carrots, rape seed, grape seeds, bananas, spinach, onions, milo, grapes, and raisins have high levels of tannins. (Rhubarb, tea, coffee, and chocolate also contain high levels of tannins but these foods should never be fed to birds anyway as they may be harmful or toxic). Tannins can inhibit digestive enzymes, bind protein, and reduce the bioavailability of vitamin B12 and iron.5 Additionally, at high levels, tannins can cause epithelium and liver damage.5 Tannins (tannic acids) are the chemicals that are responsible for the normal browning of fruits and vegetables that have been bruised or cut. If feeding any of the above-listed "safe" foods that contain tannic acid, only feed them in moderation. "

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:34 pm

All I know is... the two Herman Bros. seed mixes my birds have been eating for many years both contain rape seed. And as far as I can tell they are doing fine.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:56 pm

Of course, my little guys won't actually eat the rape seed! (I also get a mix from Herman Bros.) I think it's one of those foods that should be fed in moderation. I know that spinach (also on your list) isn't healthy if fed in large quantities, but is great if you just feed it upon occasion.

Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:15 pm

That was listed in one of the avian medical texts I reference, and I'm fairly certain it refers to *large quantities* (i.e. if you fed a diet that was mostly or completely made of rapeseed).

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:29 pm

Thanks!
I was wondering about that.
I noticed rape is a large component of canary seed mixes.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:44 pm

if you read strouds book on canaries.you will find that he recomends 3 different types of rapeseed,and i dont think he would have let you feed your birds anything harmful to them.i have been feeding it to my canarys for years,granted a lot of them dont eat it but if you try soaking and sprouting it you would certainly see a difference in the amount they consume

ken :wink:
Last edited by kenny on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Ah ha! Maybe THAT's what I can do with all of the leftovers! Even my canary doesn't like it...... :?

Hilary

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:46 am

hi hilary
have you tried the seed yourself as it maybe old and thats why the birds will not eat it,if you put a piece in your mouth it should have a nutty flavour but if it tastes bitter then it is no good and you are being sold inferior seed that normally gets crushed for its oil content.....is you seed merchant reliable is there any webs or white dust on the seed or is it clean and polished.you could try buying it seperate and mixing it your self rubsen rape seed is best then morrocan you can even get red rape seed ..but if they are not even taking a few of the seeds it may be inferior stock.....buy the way you can try any seed the same way if you can plunge your hand in the seed and there is no resistance the chances are that it is good seed but if there is resistance and dust flys up and your hand gets covered in webs then it is inferior

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much