Pellets vs Seeds

Post by Bonzo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 am

Are Pellets better than Seeds?
If not,......... Why?

Fishguy2727
Pip
Pip

Post by Fishguy2727 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 am

High quality pellets provide a very well balanced and complete diet. This does not mean you can't or even that you shoudln't feed a little seed and the normal fruits and veggies though. Pellets provide all the nutrition in every bite. Many birds pick through seed mixes to find certain seeds. So even though the seed mixes are not usually as complete as a pelleted diet, they are not even getting all of it because the pick through and do nto eat certain things.

Pellets are more digestible too. More nutrition is absorbed as it passes through the digestive system, so less comes out the other end. This means a cleaner cage between cleanups.

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Re: Pellets vs Seeds

Post by dfcauley » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Bonzo wrote:Are Pellets better than Seeds?
If not,......... Why?
I feed my finches a choice of pellets and seeds. I know that pellets are less messy and nutritional, but to me it would be like me having to eat bran ceral all day long. And I wouldn't like that. So I try to give my birds a variety. Along with egg food and veggies. Mine will not eat fruit. :(
Donna

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:27 am

this topic seems to raise its head over and over, there is no right or wrong answer, it comes down to the birds/breeders choice as to what they are offered & what they will eat.
as for myself I prefer seed, but I do try to makeavailable everything that they would find in the wild. such as green seed, live food (mealworm/maggots/small crickets), a variety of fresh fruit & vegetables, eggfood, cuttlefish, oystershell grit, live plants in the aviary which they can eat/hide in or nest. but if they do want pellets then they can share the quail food that is also available to them. it must be working cos I havent had a sick bird yet and they are all willing to breed.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:20 am

I agree with mickp. It is more important to provide a variety of foods and let them select what they like. The more we can imitate their natural life, the happier and healthier they will be. I find that individual birds have preferences, even within species--one Goldbreast pair will eat white worms, another pair won't touch them.