Feeding times??

Learn what to feed your birds.
newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Feeding times??

Post by newfinchmom » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:36 pm

I received some pellet food and vitamin supplements I ordered from Lefabers (is that the right name) and the pamphlet suggested that I feed the birds a small amount of food in the morning and then completely remove all food from the cage and then do the same for about 40 minutes in the evening. This seems a little harsh. Does anyone do this type of feeding time routine? I don't even having a routine for my dog. . . I keep his bowl full and he eats when he's hungry.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:45 pm

The feeding routine you mentioned is intended to wean the birds off seed and get them used to eating the pellets. If the only thing offered to them is the pellets during those 40 minutes then by theory they will have to eventually try it. Once they are eating the pellets then you can make the switch full time and just give seed as a treat.

I don't feed pellets as I feel the birds like a variety in their diet just as I do. I have observed no health problems from allowing my birds to eat what they like. Their diet is the same special mix from Herman Bros. which the previous keeper had them on and I have very little waste.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:10 pm

Thanks, Tammie. I must admit that the pellets look boring to me. LOL

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Finches have really high metabolisms and need to eat all day long to keep up with their energy requirements, so food should always be available to them throughout the day (not just for 40 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes at night). They will rapidly deteriorate if not given sufficient food throughout the day. I recommend offering the pellets in a separate container from their regular diet all day every day; persistence usually pays off.

To encourage weaning onto the pelleted diet, you can use one of two methods:

1. After about a week or two with pellets always available to them, you can try removing the seed (while leaving the pellets available) for 40 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes at night, but do not leave them all day without seed until you have seen them all eat sufficient amounts of the pelleted diet.

2. Alternatively, you can mix increasing proportions of the pelleted diet into the seed diet (while decreasing the amount of seed offered each time you refill the seed dish) so that the finches are left with only pellets after about 2 weeks.

Either way you will need to keep a close eye on them to make sure they are actually eating the pellets before completely removing their access to seed.

I applaud your purchase of a pelleted diet, as it will be far more nutrient-rich and balanced than a seed-based diet. I encourage you to offer fresh foods (especially egg and green, leafy vegetables) in addition to the pellets. I offer my birds seed only as a treat and slightly more often to breeding birds (which get more of everything) when they have hungry mouths to feed.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:39 pm

That is what I meant... offer them only the pellets for a 40 minute period in the morning and again in the evening. You should of course have their usual seed available to them the rest of the time. I wouldn't personally go this route, but this is what I've heard is the fastest way to get them to eating the pellets.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:36 pm

Thanks guys. What I did was add about 25% of the pellets to the seed and I sprinkled the new vitamin powder on top of one food dish. In the other. . . I offered all pellets to see if they might just take them right away. I couldn't stand the thought of removing food from their cage all day. . .I don't care how much of an expert someone thinks they are. . . it just seemed mean.

Thank you so much!!!!

cezhart
Pip
Pip

Post by cezhart » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:50 pm

My parrot, Willow, has the pellets available to her full time & seeds for a daily snack. I also give her some warm broccoli or green beans, chopped carrots & maybe a grape or two, cut in half. She loves it! Seems like I read where some finches are supposed to have some greens daily???

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:40 pm

I think my finches are retarded or maybe stupid or something. LOL. They don't really enjoy fresh foods, but will pick at some eggs. I've tried quite a few things and they don't touch them. Where's the trust? LOL

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:08 pm

did you breed these finches your self or did you buy them as adults,they will have to get used to the grenfood if they are not bred by you as they only eat what they are used to so unless they have been fed greens by the former owner they will take a while to catch on i usually start mine of with cress as they usually take that regardless or chickweed i have never seen a bird refuse this stuff or dandelion leaves

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:19 pm

I got them both from a pet store at different times. They are fairly young, but they have been fed mostly seed.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:45 pm

well as i have said if you keep on feeding the greens they will eventually eat it you just have to ,find something they like,dandelion is the easiest,broccoli,and chickweed are also good to start with and dont cost anything

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much