My Super-Duper Egg Recipe.

Learn what to feed your birds.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

My Super-Duper Egg Recipe.

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Made a batch of my Super-Duper Egg recipe this morning, and decided to share it with my Finch Friends.
You all probably know that my usual recipe is hard boiled eggs mixed with crumbled spray millet.
Well today, being a special day, I decided to make my special mix.

6 hard boiled eggs
Peeled and put through garlic press
1 extra large spray of millet (or 3 small ones)
Crumbled and mixed into eggs
1/2 cup Tropimix egg food mix
1cup (or more) of KAYTEE freeze dried meal worms pulverized into powder.

Add all ingredients and toss together gently.

Serve, and watch the feeding frenzy.

~Elana~
Attachments
20150220_104312.jpg
20150220_104320.jpg
Last edited by Sally on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to normal text.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Toddmin
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: MY SUPER-DUPER EGG RECIPE.

Post by Toddmin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Interesting. I've never thought about using a garlic press!
- Todd

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Looks GREAT!!! I have freeze dried blood worms...I bet they would finally be eaten if i pulverized them and added them to egg food too. Gotta try that next time my birds are nesting :)

Arama
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Arama » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Yummy :wink: I love the garnish, it looks pretty and I'm sure tastes great.
Trisha

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Toddmin

I got the idea of the garlic press from our man Colt.
The eggs come out kind of wormy looking, and not all clumped together like when you fork mash them.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Ginene

Hi Ginene.
Don't have to wait untill they're nesting. It's a good all year around food (other then when they are on an austerity diet). Good at molting time, conditioning time, mating time and breeding and nesting time.

~Elana~
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:28 pm

Arama

Not sure how it tastes, and not going to try.....:-)
The feathered crew however seem to approve. Everybody polished off platefulls of it today. So if the customers like the food, the chef is happy. :-)

~Elana~
~Elana~

josh1810
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by josh1810 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:37 pm

I will have to try your recipe... The garlic press works really well... I bought mine from Dollar Tree... I never tried it until the other day. SURE BEATS smashing the eggs with a fork...

Ginene my finches wouldn't eat the freeze dried mealworms until I lightly pulverized or powdered them. I give them in separate dishes and usually everyone eats them. Even my gouldians go for it and clean the bowls...

They actually eat the mealworms better than the egg food...

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:27 am

I can't take credit for the garlic press entirely...lol I believe Debbie gave me that idea.

Personally I love the garlic press, especially when I was making smaller amounts of egg food. But when I boil 18-24 eggs and get them peeled and quartered that means I run 72-96 quartered sections of an egg through that thing. It makes my hand cramp. lol

So sometimes if I'm in a hurry I grate the boiled eggs against a handheld cheese grater. But more often than not the egg falls apart and as I don't like grating myself into the egg food once I get close to the end I have to set it aside and use the press anyway.

I absolutely hate, hate, hate, using a fork to mash the egg up. I tried that once time and literally wanted to just scream.

I'd actually really love to try to make egg food the way Roy Beckham (the guy that owns and operates efinch.com) does.

http://www.efinch.com/eggfood.htm

It would just be lovely to shell the eggs and toss them into a giant mixer and let it do all the work as I add the other ingredients in. :)

But your egg food looks amazing Elena! I need to make a big batch up this weekend.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:42 am

lovezebs that looks great. Are the freeze dried mealworms specific for birds, or do fish/reptile worms work?

@Colt would a potato ricer work for the larger quantities of egg? I only have a handful of birds, but I'll tell my dad, who has a whole bunch more. Might even dig out my potato ricer and give it a try :D
Image Storm & Sky

skyjump100
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by skyjump100 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:50 am

lovezebs I'm off to buy a garlic press !!!!!! Thanks for passing on the tip!!!
Simon

3 pairs of Gouldians
4 Bengalese
Maisie & Pepper (Mini Schnauzers)
Too many goldfish :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:55 am

Atbird
You know, I've been thinking about the potato ricer as well, I think I even mentioned it somewhere here in one post or another. I might have to raid my Dad's kitchen for one, as I'm pretty sure my Mom used to have one ( I don't ).

~Elana~
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:56 am

skyjump100

You're most welcome :-).

~Elana~
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:16 am

Colt

Try it , Colt. I think you'll find, that the kids will lick the plate clean. =P~

~Elana~
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:21 am

Atbird

These freeze dried worms by KATEE, can be found at Wal-Mart, in the wild bird section of the Pet department. They are wonderful, and so much less expensive, than the ones you buy at the Pet Shops. It is a good sized bag too, and will last for quite a while.

~Elana~

P.S. A bag costs around $6 or $7 here.
~Elana~