My Super-Duper Egg Recipe.

Learn what to feed your birds.
debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: My Super-Duper Egg Recipe.

Post by debbie276 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:29 pm

I just feed them the membrane. If you put the shells in the microwave for a short time the membrane becomes very brittle as well as the shell which makes it easier to mash up. Personally I don't like to nuke them because the shell becomes a whole lot sharper.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:58 pm

lnlovesorange

Mine eat the whole thing. I let the shells try really well, and practically pulverize them into smithereens.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Toddmin
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Toddmin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:54 pm

I grind mine up in the blender, so I have never seen those strips you mentioned.
- Todd

JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Post by JillM » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 am

Your recipe looks great ( for the birds, I won't be trying it personally! LOL) and since my first eggs are about to hatch, I am sure mama and papa would love this! I've just been mashing up plain ol' hard boiled eggs! This mix looks so much better!
Jill M
4 Society Finches

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:32 am

JillM

As I mentioned somewhere...

All of my birds love it, and I've been told that many other birds enjoy it too.

For fewer birds, just aďjust the amounts a bit.
The amounts are not written in stone, so you don't need a calculator. What you want, is a soft but crumbly texture. If it'svtoo wet, add a bit more dry stuff. If it's too dry, throw in another half an egg.

Lately, I've been also adding a couple of pinches of dry herb salad, and occasionally a couple of drops of birdie cod liver oil. The kids seem to enjoy it just as much.

Hope your guys enjoy it :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Potato ricer:

https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Potato-Rice ... tato+ricer

That's the one I have. You can rice the potatoes with skin on and the skin is left behind. Should work very well for eggs. You should be able to put several eggs in at a time, depending on your hand strength. The Kuhn Rikon version looks just as functional, for about the same price (like $3 more), and has equally good reviews.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Sojourner

I've been looking for a potato ricer for ages, but haven't seen any anywhere .

I checked out the link on amazon.ca.... look at the price difference grrrr... :-L

https://www.amazon.ca/RSVP-Potato-Ricer ... B000OLA7KS
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:29 pm

lovezebs

Dang! I know the exchange rate is like 75c CA to the US dollar right now, but that's still a LOT more expensive!

Just keep reminding yourself, you are a civilized nation with single payer health care. If we had that here, I wouldn't be disabled now. Never get sick while working on your doctorate in the USA. Because deadbeat doctoral candidates don't deserve medical care in this country. LOL!

Anyway try this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fox-Run-Ricer-Pot ... tato+ricer

It ought to be good enough for egg mashing.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Sojourner

Thanks so much, now that's more reasonable.

I thank the powers that be for our healthcare, even if it's far from perfect.

You may have to wait until you're dragging yourself by your arms across the floor for a knee or hip replacement, BUT if you need emergency heart surgery, you'll get it fairly quickly and for free in Alberta (we don't even have to pay health care premiums in my province).

So what did you pursue a Doctorate in? while the US healthcare system (or lack thereof) were letting you down big time?
I've heard some nightmarish stories about people who desperately needed medical help not getting it in the States, it makes my lip curl in a snarl to think of these situations.
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:37 pm

lovezebs

My undergrad degree was in Computer Science (Engineering type not data processing business type)

But my grad degree was (going to be) in clinical psychology. Didn't make it though. Had I access to adequate health care I would have been a tax-paying contributing member of society for the past 10 years instead of having to live with my son who was himself in grad school until they got around to approving me for disability after 6 years and two separate attempts.

I was planning to emigrate to Canada after completing my doctorate specifically because of issues of health care access and the lack thereof here in the USA. I have Canadian ancestors, among them the Dionnes of Dionne quintuplet fame. That won't be happening anymore, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Sojourner

Just walk or wheel across the border, and tell them you are a refugee from a troll state....
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Sorry, not politically correct...but proud of it.
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:24 pm

lovezebs

Oddly enough I am eligible for German citizenship as I have a ton of German ancestors. Sadly not a word of German though! Well a few words that I learned from Hogan's Heroes, LOL!

Now if only Canada would institute a repatriation program I'd be there in a heartbeat. Great Grandma was a Dionne.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Sojourner

Can you claim a relationship to our Celine ?

Seriously though, I'm not sure if you could go on a claim through Arrriere-Grand-Mere. Probably not, but who knows.
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:06 pm

lovezebs

If she's related to the Dionne Quintuplet Dionnes, then yes. All I know about her is that she is a singer. I think.

Canada doesn't currently have a repatriation program like a lot of European countries seem to have these days. But if it did ... I'd be there in a heartbeat, LOL! British Columbia is where I'd rather be.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18