Learn what to feed your birds.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Perle Morbide...

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:12 am

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... 4eCh1gUgrU

Hello Fellow Finchers.

I came across this product on line, and was wondering if anyone on the Forum has tried it.
It's supposed to be a complete bird food, to entirely replace seed soaking and germination.

Apparently it's supposed to be very popular in Europe.

I honestly know nothing about it, and will have to do some reading to get more information.
Was just wondering, if anyone knows anything about it, or has tried it (?)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Perle Morbide...

Post by kyle » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:33 am

Elena. One of the breeders at the bird Mart was feeding his finches this. He gave me a sample bag of the green and yellow pallets. He had let them soak for a half an hour an equal amount of water to pellet. My guys wouldn't eat it. To be fair they rarely jump on any new food anyway. #-o The smell of the wet food put me off. Not that it was so bad but every day is more than I can take. :shock:
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:10 am

Someone on our facebook group was just mentioning it. Her birds are eating it dry! Others replied that they soak it, some say their birds love it and others not, that is how it is with other brands as well.

A little tip when soaking the pellets if you pop it in the microwave as it is soaking and warm it enough to help it soften and absorb the water the birds generally go to it warm (check temp before serving)... all my hookbills will eat pellets warmed. Most the finches will as well, use small tiny amounts at first since once it cools and gets cold most tend to ignore it.
Attachments
Perle_Morbde_Ornitalia-450x450%20Geon.jpg

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:12 am

cindy & kyle

Thanks Cindy and Kyle.

My guys don't like pellets to begin with, so I doubt they would enjoy this stuff either dry or turned to mush.

This is something that I find interesting actually, because normally they eat whatever I place infront of them, and yet pellets, no way. The one small package that I'd bought of the small fruity pellets, I finally threw out to the wild birds (and they didn't really like it either, although I think the Magpies ate them). This was the Zupreme (spelling?) ones.

Thanks for the input.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:34 am

If they like bird bread I have a recipe for making it out of pellets and egg.... my hookbills and javas down it and the finches need it a bit mashed but they eat it

~ My Facebook groups ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:49 am

cindy

Thanks Cindy, but I don't make bird bread (or haven't yet).

I think my kids, eat a really great diet as it is. It's healthy, it's varied, it's full of good things that they enjoy, and which keep them in good health and shape...... so I figure, why push something on them , which they obviously don't like.

I was just curious about this new stuff, as an alternative to soaking and germinating seeds. However, I think I'll stick to the good old fashioned way of doing things. If it works, why change it, right?

Have a wonderful weekend :-)
~Elana~

josh1810
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by josh1810 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:22 pm

Hey lovezebs

I feed the Perle morbide to my birds.... They would not touch it at first. Especially if it is to wet. I actually will mix 2 parts perle morbide to 1 1\2 parts water. That way its not to wet. Then put my egg food in it, some herb salad, some dry seeds, etc. This all dries it out a little more. If you will take it and add a little bit to what they are use to they will pick it up before to long.

Now they all will eat most of it. It will dry out within a few hours and go back pellet like. My societies will eat nearly every drop and they feed the babies well with it. I really can't say that it's a 100% amazing product yet, but after offering it several times they took to it.

Oh... A little bit goes along way... So a few birds I would do like 1/2 a cup to try it out or less. So you won't waste it. Gouldians don't like wet foods anyways that's why I add my usual egg foods to it. There is always ways to trick the picky butts into eating the good stuff. Don't tell them there veggies in their like kids... Lol...

Hope this helps someone else out also.

josh1810
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by josh1810 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:24 pm

Oh and don't mash it up like grits or polenta... Just flip it all over with a fork and toss kinda like a salad. That way the pellets stay round and not mushy...

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 pm

josh1810 wrote: Hey lovezebs

I feed the Perle morbide to my birds.... They would not touch it at first. Especially if it is to wet. I actually will mix 2 parts perle morbide to 1 1\2 parts water. That way its not to wet. Then put my egg food in it, some herb salad, some dry seeds, etc. This all dries it out a little more. If you will take it and add a little bit to what they are use to they will pick it up before to long.

Now they all will eat most of it. It will dry out within a few hours and go back pellet like. My societies will eat nearly every drop and they feed the babies well with it. I really can't say that it's a 100% amazing product yet, but after offering it several times they took to it.

Oh... A little bit goes along way... So a few birds I would do like 1/2 a cup to try it out or less. So you won't waste it. Gouldians don't like wet foods anyways that's why I add my usual egg foods to it. There is always ways to trick the picky butts into eating the good stuff. Don't tell them there veggies in their like kids... Lol...

Hope this helps someone else out also.
Josh, where are you getting your pellets from?

~ My Facebook groups ~

lovepoodle
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by lovepoodle » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:14 am

josh1810 I would like to know that where do you get this product too. And which one do you get?
MAMI

Lady Gouldians
Parrot Finches (RF,SG,Pied SG&RF,BF) Societies,
Red Bellied Parrot,Violet Indian Ringneck Parakeet,Rose Breast Cockatoo,Princess of Wales parakeet,Turquoisine & Scarlet chested parakeets,Cat,
Poodle LATTE & MOCHA

josh1810
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by josh1810 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 am

Cindy , lovepoodle

Ladygouldianfinch.com. or ladygouldian.com

josh1810
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by josh1810 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Oh and i got the 1lb bag to see if my birds wouls even touch it.

It dosent freeze well, but if you mix some dry egg food etc. It will be looser. I ended up getting a solid block by now adding enough dry back in it. But when they start eating it they will go right to it.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:49 pm

I got a sample bag at the bird show in October. My birds will not eat pellets at all, but I decided to try them. They LOVE LOVE LOVE it. All my birds except the shaft tails are eating it. I serve both soaked and mixed with a dry egg food, and also serve the pellets dry.

I got my from Ponytail Joe, but see that ladygouldianfinch.com is selling it.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I mix 3 tablespoons up every night, refrigerate and feed the next morning. It gives me enough to give all my birds some. I have about 60 birds. I just feed about a teaspoon per bird, and they eat it all.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

lovepoodle
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by lovepoodle » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:18 pm

I just ordered to Ladygouldianfinch .com !! Thanks guys!!
MAMI

Lady Gouldians
Parrot Finches (RF,SG,Pied SG&RF,BF) Societies,
Red Bellied Parrot,Violet Indian Ringneck Parakeet,Rose Breast Cockatoo,Princess of Wales parakeet,Turquoisine & Scarlet chested parakeets,Cat,
Poodle LATTE & MOCHA