Perle Morbide...

Learn what to feed your birds.
Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Perle Morbide...

Post by Nipper06 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:28 pm

My Perle Morbide arrived a couple days ago and I tried it on my birds this morning (you have to soak it in water overnight). To serve it to my birds, (after soaking it) I mixed it with a little dry food (Miracle Meal) and sprinkled some hemp and millet seeds on it to get their attention.

My 2 little pigs "Tweety" and Canary and "Lindsey" the Budgie took to it immediately!

(p.s. don't worry - they don't live in the same cage - they just visit during free-flight time)

My Ringneck Dove "Lefty" also was enthusiastic about it - he flew in my Java Sparrow's cage to try it some more, even though he got his own bowl of it.

My other birds, including my Gouldians and other finches, gave it a nibble at least so far. I'll report back on how they liked it tomorrow. My finches are always a little cautious with new foods!

SUGGESTION: If you try this stuff, remember it "GROWS" after soaking it overnight, so only make a little at first. I ended up with enough that I refrigerated half of it for tomorrow.
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Good point Ron, a few people have served it dry....

(also sent you a pm here too!!!)

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:29 pm

Looks like a hit!!!! Need to try this soon, several people on groups are having good results with this.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Nipper06 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:08 am

Just a follow-up to my post above: Once they got brave enough to try it, ALL my finches devoured their Perle Morbide! But again, I mixed it with a little dry food (Miracle Meal) and sprinkled some hemp and millet seeds on it to get their attention. I don't know how palatable it would have been all by itself... but anyway, they liked it.

I offered it to my Ringneck Doves also, both by itself and mixed with Miracle Meal - they definitely liked it better mixed with some dry Miracle Meal.
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Is this used in place of sprouted seed? I've considered buying it before, but I didn't now enough about it.
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by GouldieFledge » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:15 pm

I got this as a free sample with a ladygouldian.com order. I tried it a handful of times and my birds would never touch it. Seems like it's pretty popular though, I may have to try again with warmer water.

From what I've read, it is supposed to be a complete replacement for sprouted seed.

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:08 am

I'm trying it now, but there is always left over in the dish. So they are still in the "try and see" stage.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

lovepoodle
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by lovepoodle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:55 pm

I just soaked in double amounto of water for two hours. Mix with dry egg food. Society jump on it and feed forster chicks!! Their crops are greenish and poops too. Some Gouldians eat, most of my Parrot finches like this!! Some grass keets like to eat. And my bigger parrots like to pick DRY yellow ones.
MAMI

Lady Gouldians
Parrot Finches (RF,SG,Pied SG&RF,BF) Societies,
Red Bellied Parrot,Violet Indian Ringneck Parakeet,Rose Breast Cockatoo,Princess of Wales parakeet,Turquoisine & Scarlet chested parakeets,Cat,
Poodle LATTE & MOCHA

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Has anyone used this product mixed directly into their homemade eggfood? I'd like to try it, but too many dishes make me crazy since I am the dishwasher... If I can add it to my existing recipe I think it would be worth trying...

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:10 pm

lovezebs wrote: <snippage>
This is something that I find interesting actually, because normally they eat whatever I place infront of them, and yet pellets, no way. The one small package that I'd bought of the small fruity pellets, I finally threw out to the wild birds (and they didn't really like it either, although I think the Magpies ate them). This was the Zupreme (spelling?) ones.

Thanks for the input.
My guy Bambi, the tail-less wonder, was held prisoner in a cage in the back room of the pet store for a couple of months. I was told it is store policy to offer "sick" and quarantined birds only pellets. It was VERY clear that he wasn't eating the pellets, and someone had been tossing seed on top so he would eat SOMETHING.

None of my finches will touch the pellets. When I had cockatiels, none of them would eat pellets either. And I've had the same experience putting them out - the wild birds won't touch them either.

So I don't buy pellets, and I don't buy mixes that have that and other junk (such as dried fruit) that my birds also refuse to eat.

I wonder if its the day-glo colors they use. What does this stuff look like out of the bag? My guys WILL eat dry egg food - I wonder if they would eat this dry.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:36 am

Colt wrote: Has anyone used this product mixed directly into their homemade eggfood? I'd like to try it, but too many dishes make me crazy since I am the dishwasher... If I can add it to my existing recipe I think it would be worth trying...
I sprinkle the soaked Perles on top of the egg food.
So ONE dish with 1/2 egg food + 1/2 veggies + crushed egg shell and Perle sprinkled on the egg food. Yeah, I don't like too many dishes in the cage.

Since I soak mine, I do not add it to the egg food when I am chopping the egg, as it would just make the egg wetter and soggy, when I am trying to make the egg dryer. The dryer egg lasts longer in the fridge before it starts to go bad.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:34 pm

Since two cents are being thrown in here---I tried this and none of my birds touched it. Canaries usually will eat anything, but they didn't go for this product. I myself was put off by the artificially fruity smell, and finally gave up on it. And just what kind of fruit smells like that, anyway?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Dave wrote: Since two cents are being thrown in here---I tried this and none of my birds touched it. Canaries usually will eat anything, but they didn't go for this product. I myself was put off by the artificially fruity smell, and finally gave up on it. And just what kind of fruit smells like that, anyway?
Fruit LOOPS?

:twisted:
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:05 pm

I haven't had Fruit Loops for a long while--just too many seeds. In fact, you needed a Fruit Loupe to find them all.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm with Elana on this one... I don't mind sprouting seed, I've never had an issue with it (until now.... but I think it's just cuz my seed is old) I'll stick to doing things the old fashioned way.... and my birds don't like New stuff. they are picky... lol Punks... But glad it's working so well for everyone else!