Chickweed

Learn what to feed your birds.
Gouldiandave
Nestling
Nestling

Chickweed

Post by Gouldiandave » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:52 pm

I find my gouldians wont touch greens, other than broccoli grated into their softfood
Si ive decided to grow my own chickweed a see will that appeal to them, in all the years ive bred canaries a European birds if i found a good unsprayed crop of it i had super breeding seasons. Living in ireland it wont grow til spring so gona grow it in the shed

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Chickweed

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:19 pm

Gouldiandave

Most birds enjoy chickweed, and it's good for them. There again, we only get it in the Spring and Summer here in Canada.

I'm not entirely certain how well chickweed will grow in the shed. Do you have the proper lighting in there ? And does it stay warm enough throughout the Winter?

What sort of greens have you tried so far?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Gouldiandave
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gouldiandave » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:31 am

Tried them al, spinach, pat choey, broccoli floettes, not a fan of feeding lettuce to birds as it has a high percentage of water, i have a frost watcher set at ten degrees in the shed, i think it would grow ok, it will be in trays right beside the windows

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:12 am

Gouldiandave

Well, good luck with the gardening endeavor. I hope it grows for you :-).

My guys, eat an assortment of greens and fruits, so that's never a problem. They learn from each other, and parents feed vegetables and fruits to their hatchlings, so they learn to enjoy them from babyhood.
Attachments
20141031_165837.jpg
1440210419599.jpg
20151013_163343-1.jpg
1436830605536.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:38 am

An excellent food choice and good luck growing it! I hope your gouldian's appreciate the effort you are putting in :)

If you had a canary, I would say put it in with the goulds. They eat anything and show the other birds what's edible. Great 'teacher' birds
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

Gouldiandave
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gouldiandave » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:47 am

Lol i sold all my canaries, but i kept a mule for song
He can be the teacher