Planting bird seed?

Learn what to feed your birds.
Alley
Hatchling
Hatchling

Planting bird seed?

Post by Alley » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:48 am

Hello all,
I do sprout seeds for my finches, but I was wondering can I plant bird seed in a pot using organic dirt and feed them what grows? Might be a silly question :)
Thank you
Owned by:
4 Lady Gouldian Finches and 1 Rosy Bourke Parakeet

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Planting bird seed?

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:26 am

Alley

No such have thing as silly questions :D

My birds throw seeds into my plants all the time, and I will often pull out the resulting greenery and offer it to my birdlings. They seem to enjoy them, and I've never had any problems.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:59 am

Rape seed works (it is the small, round black seed in canary mixes). You end up with rapini. Or a plant that is almost like rapini. Rape seed is in the cabbage / broccoli family.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:33 am

Perfectly fine to grow the bird seed and offer to your birds. Plant may even get big enough to seed out, now that would be a fresh treat.
Good luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:47 am

I put discards from seed dishes out into my yard. Wild birds clean up most of what was not eaten but what they miss does sprout if watered.
My birds like the green leaves I clip off and bring inside.
Allowed to mature, seed sprays do form. Their favorite seems to be seed sprays that are still not quite ripe.

No reason not to grow these in a pot.

Airlyn
Mature
Mature

Post by Airlyn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:47 am

I apologise for thread hijacking, but since this is the same topic I hope you will forgive.
When harvesting your fresh planted seeds, how do you harvest it? Do you cut the stalk (stem) or pull up by the roots.
I do not fertilize or feed my lawn and haven't for about 10 years. Can I plant it outside? Should I improve my soul with peat moss? Do you worry about bugs?
Is pot planting indoors better?
Thank you

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:01 am

I've never found a problem with growing the bird seed , where I used to live in my other house I had a number of large flights with British and European finches in that I used to breed and exhibit,

I had a patch in the corner of every avairy where I placed seed onto some peat and would water regularly and grew the seed,

All of my 70-80 odd birds at the time used to thrive on the growing seed and was a fantastic way of rearing young finches aswell as other foods in the birds diet :-BD

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:19 pm

I have a bird seed lawn in my aviary! The birds eat the sprouts. It's hilarious to watch them pull the plants up. :lol:
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!