Celery?

Learn what to feed your birds.
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Celery?

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:46 pm

lovezebs wrote: Celeris

None of my kids (of any species ) have enjoyed celery so far. Have never tried tomatoes, can't imagine any birds liking tomatoes for some reason.

Kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, beet greens, broccoli, cucumber slices, grated carrot, red swiss chard, baby spring greens mix, apple, orange slices, sliced grapes, melons, sliced blueberries, banana ,corn on the cob....

There are many choices, that can be offered to the feathered kids.

Check out the pictures below.
Nice to see someone who knows there birds and fruit n veggies as all is very important,
to many birds get fed the wrong diet these days where vegetables are concerned and really should just be fed with well known foods that we know are safe and reliable :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:54 pm

Celeris wrote: lovezebs

In your experience, do societies and zebras enjoy mealworms? I don't notice any in your photos there.
To be onest feeding mealworms to society finches and zebs are a complete waist of time , here in the uk I personally don't know of any champion breeders and exhibitors ever using em,

All you'd ever need for these birds are soak seed and egg food with mixed grated carrot and Brockley added to the egg food :D

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:58 pm

Louys wrote: My Gouldians love dandelion.... The wild ones are just coming out.... Can't keep up :)
They don't seem to like celery. tried many times.
Dandelions are one of the very best of conditioners for finches and canaries prior to the breeding season :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:15 pm

A list of what most finch and canary breeders would normally use here in the uk :mrgreen:

Lettuce, broccoli, carrots, petis pois peas,

This small 4 items of veg is all that is fed most of the time to most birds here, this would be fed in addition to yer soak seed mixes and egg food.

The veggies can eaither be fed grated / chopped etc and fed all together in a dish or what I personally do is to finely grate / liquidise it and put it in with the egg food, I also add liquid honey to my egg food to keep it constantly moist but without going off :D

We at times also use a lot of wild green food aswell but must be careful that it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides,

Chickweed, shepherds purse, groundsel, dandelion, milk thistle, fat hen, dock, etc to name a few ,
This is normally collected by many British fanciers by the dustbin bag and the birds will often go bezerk feeding on it :mrgreen:

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:33 pm

What about beets and beet tops as a color enhancer for red factors? I have plenty of top leaves in the garden that I could cut right now but I'm not sure it they have the same color enhancers as the actual beets.
I also have a row of baby carrots ready to harvest. I'll try some of those in the food processor with the tops and all and see what happens.

One thing they all really liked was a transplanted bok choy that was allowed to go to flower and seed. It was a beautiful plant but here's all that's left after just a few days.
bok choy.jpg

They didn't like the fresh oregano plant but my birds do like fresh growing turf quite a lot.
fresh turf.JPG
I sometimes transplant a few patches but it's always available outside in a "green feeder" where they can't pull out the roots.
green feeder.JPG
They get their daily veggies from treat trays that look like this.
treat trays.JPG
This design is great for close observation from inside and because most all their tails hang over the side.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:02 am

Paul's Amazing Birds wrote: What about beets and beet tops as a color enhancer for red factors? I have plenty of top leaves in the garden that I could cut right now but I'm not sure it they have the same color enhancers as the actual beets.
I also have a row of baby carrots ready to harvest. I'll try some of those in the food processor with the tops and all and see what happens.

One thing they all really liked was a transplanted bok choy that was allowed to go to flower and seed. It was a beautiful plant but here's all that's left after just a few days.
bok choy.jpg

They didn't like the fresh oregano plant but my birds do like fresh growing turf quite a lot.
fresh turf.JPG
I sometimes transplant a few patches but it's always available outside in a "green feeder" where they can't pull out the roots.
green feeder.JPG
They get their daily veggies from treat trays that look like this.
treat trays.JPG
This design is great for close observation from inside and because most all their tails hang over the side.
Love the idea of yer feeding station in the last pic, brilliant idea =D>

To be onest in my opinion you can try the beet tops etc but if your serious about colour feeding yer colour canaries you can't beat caraphyll red added to the birds water prior to moulting :D