Apple Cider Vinegar

Learn what to feed your birds.
wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Apple Cider Vinegar

Post by wildbird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Is it ok to add apple cider vinegar to bottled spring water if bottled water labeled "drinking water" is not available? An avian vet had specified that it must be labeled "drinking water". Does anyone know what difference it makes?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar

Post by Sally » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:30 am

wildbird Interesting question. I did a little research, and I'm not sure what your avian vet means by 'drinking' water. Here is a description of the various types of bottled water. It seems most 'spring' water is pretty close to tap water. I'm thinking maybe the vet means 'purified' water? It would probably be best to call the vet tomorrow morning and ask. Is the vet telling you to add apple cider vinegar?

http://www.drinkmorewater.com/types-of-water
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Thank you for your reply, Sally. This was information I had gotten a few years ago from a well known avian vet who has since retired. The bird I had at that time would not touch the water when the apple cider vinegar was added. He said it would be beneficial for him to have, so I was going to see if the birds I have now would drink it. On the printed form he gave me it states that the bottled water must be labeled "drinking water". I never asked why. I just wondered if spring water would be ok, as that is what they are drinking now.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:07 pm

wildbird He may have wanted to make sure you didn't use distilled water, which has had most of the minerals removed. I would think spring would be OK.

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:49 am

wildbird wrote: The bird I had at that time would not touch the water when the apple cider vinegar was added.
It might be the amount of ACV you add. When I was giving ACV to the birds on a regular basis, I would use 1 drop ACV : 1 oz of water. If you added more, the water might have become too acidic for the birds.

I do not remember the reason, but I stopped giving ACV to my birds on a regular basis. Dang it, I knew I should write stuff like this down. Now I don't remember why I stopped the ACV in their drinking water.

I still add it to their bath water.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:47 am

One thing about ACV and tap water, you don't want to use ACV if you already have acidic water, as it will become even more acidic. I use it because my water is very alkaline, so I'm trying to bring down the pH of the water with ACV.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Thank you Sally and Gary for your advice. I don't think it is supposed to be used every day either. From the notes I have it was to be given for 10-14 days and then recheck the gram's stain.

sadhak
Pip
Pip

Post by sadhak » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:41 pm

I bought the Heinz Ultra-filtered ACV for my Gouldians.
However, I see some breeders advising against it & state the Non-filtered / Organic 'Bragg' as the ideal choice…..any advice on the same?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:27 pm

I use the Braggs, because it is raw, unfiltered, and organic. Shake the bottle very well before each use, all the good stuff settles to the bottom.

sadhak
Pip
Pip

Post by sadhak » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:17 am

Thank You Sally, will get Braggs…..
However, just out of curiosity - why the aversion to filtered ACV, noting that both have acidity @ 5%, and that filterstion is done for 'sparkling clarity'?

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:03 am

Some people in South Africa add Apple Cider to the birds drinking water once a week to prevent crop diseases like Cocci, other people add citrus soda and check the Ph that it is always at 6. That sort of prevents bacteria from forming in the crop.
Marius

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:46 pm

sadhak wrote: Thank You Sally, will get Braggs…..
However, just out of curiosity - why the aversion to filtered ACV, noting that both have acidity @ 5%, and that filterstion is done for 'sparkling clarity'?
The stuff that makes the ACV cloudy/hazy is what makes it beneficial. Filtering it will remove the "mother", which is the best parts of the apple left over from the fermentation process. Filtering out the good stuff makes it pretty pointless... :)

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:48 am

I have to ask, should I be concerned about the pH of my tap water? It is usually about 9. Is that bad for my guys?
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Sojourner wrote: I have to ask, should I be concerned about the pH of my tap water? It is usually about 9. Is that bad for my guys?
That is very alkaline. The main issue isn't that alkaline water is necessarily bad for them (or you), but the lack of acid in the water could reduce the overall pH balance in their bodies (and yours). Birds don't have 'stomach acid', per say, but they do have digestive enzymes that aid with the overall digestion process. If those enzymes aren't acidic enough, they could have a tough time breaking down their food. The lack of acidity in the body also reduces their ability to fend of bacteria in their food and/or water. I'm not talking about spoiled food/water... no one would give that to their birds. But everything we eat and drink has some level of bacteria in it; that simply cannot be avoided, unless you irradiate it, which would be a horrible idea.

A couple of drops of ACV in their water would certainly help. If you're drinking water that alkaline, monitoring your pH levels might not be a bad idea either...

D

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:03 pm

DamonIRB wrote: That is very alkaline.
<snippage for space saving>
I checked the pH of the tap water for the PLANTS that I grow (hobby grower of curry leaf tree).

Never occurred to me to worry about the birds, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.