Tap water

Learn what to feed your birds.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Tap water

Post by Sally » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:12 am

Hmmm, I might try that Brita pitcher too. One time I looked at those things that fasten on your faucet, but my faucets are polished brass, and they don't make filters in that finish. (I know, polished brass is out of fashion, but I love it, so there! :lol: )
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Sally

We had one that fastened to our faucet, but it always leaked. I can't wait to try the pitcher!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:13 pm

The Britta pitcher is just simpler for me, since we use that for our drinking water anyway. I change the filter every other month.

The filters that screw onto the faucet have a pretty small filter cartridge, so I don't know if it matches or has worse filtration than the larger pitcher filter. Also I use a swivel head on my kitchen faucet, not sure how that will work with a faucet filter.

Actually the best is to plumb a separate filtered spigot on the sink, with a BIG filter under the sink. But while I can do the plumbing, that is such a hassle to setup, that I just never bothered. Maybe when I redo the sink I might look into that.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by GouldieFledge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 am

One thing to keep in mind, if you're using the Brita the way I do:

Since my birds are upstairs and I like to have the pitcher easily accessible to me, it doesn't get refrigerated, the water gets filtered through as needed. But it has to be taken apart so that it air dries in between uses and doesn't get moldy inside. I too change the cartridge every other month or so like ac12, and I also sort of blot the ends of the damp cartridge once in a while to prevent mold build-up there as well.

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Hmmm
I leave my Britta constantly filled, so the filter cartridge is constantly wet. At least I remember that as the instructions.

I fill a half gallon jug for the bird, and leave the jug in the bathroom where I do all the cleaning and refilling of the water tubes.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary